Cogmind > Strategies

Basic Question and Answer thread

(1/10) > >>

zill:
This is a thread where simple questions can be asked if you feel the question doesn't require a thread of its own.

I have some questions of my own:

What is the relationship between me and my allies?  I have gathered a group of non-controllable allies and they don't block my movement, they seem to be able to fire their weapons without hitting one another or me, yet my own volleys will hit them. 

Sometimes when I am not flying and I am in a 1-wide corridor, non-flying worker bots seem to travel past me.  Sometimes they will turn back the way they came, however.  What is happening here?

I hacked the location of the exit, but the stairs weren't shown on the edge of the screen like other hacks, such as machine locations or worker bot locations.  Is there a particular device I need equipped to enable this, or do exits not show up like that?

zxc:
Stairs should always be shown on the edge of the screen if they are outside your view, if you press 4. There are no relevant devices.

Not sure on your other questions.

Kyzrati:

--- Quote from: zill on October 13, 2015, 12:56:52 AM ---I hacked the location of the exit, but the stairs weren't shown on the edge of the screen like other hacks, such as machine locations or worker bot locations.  Is there a particular device I need equipped to enable this, or do exits not show up like that?

--- End quote ---
They should appear for a short time at the edge of the screen, or wherever they are, after you're done hacking, but as zxc says after that you'll have to press '4' to get them back, yes. (Or hover over the Scan window if you're using the mouse.)

--- Quote from: zill on October 13, 2015, 12:56:52 AM ---What is the relationship between me and my allies?  I have gathered a group of non-controllable allies and they don't block my movement, they seem to be able to fire their weapons without hitting one another or me, yet my own volleys will hit them.

--- End quote ---
No they'll "gladly" accidentally hit you or each other ;). You just got lucky or didn't see it yet. Non-controllable allied bots are full allies in every sense except that you cannot give them orders. They'll even follow you into new areas via stairs if close enough to your point of exit (the auto-highlighted area). Depending on the circumstances under which you meet them they may or may not follow you across a map, though--that's handled on a case-by-case basis.

--- Quote from: zill on October 13, 2015, 12:56:52 AM ---Sometimes when I am not flying and I am in a 1-wide corridor, non-flying worker bots seem to travel past me.  Sometimes they will turn back the way they came, however.  What is happening here?

--- End quote ---
There's a chance they were wandering in one direction and reached their destination (which may very well be in the middle of a corridor), then decide on a new destination that was back the other way. Non-combat bots are just wandering around looking for stuff to do, so if there's no task that fits their role they may appear to be doing nothing meaningful. Because they aren't :P. The change in their direction doesn't have anything to do with you, unless you were shooting at them. (And non-combat bots are allowed to pass you to avoid creating annoying bottlenecks.)

zill:

--- Quote from: Kyzrati on October 13, 2015, 05:25:05 AM ---No they'll "gladly" accidentally hit you or each other ;). You just got lucky or didn't see it yet.

--- End quote ---
Are they as trigger happy as me, or will they prefer line-of-sight?  With so many rockets flying around, I assumed they were firing through each other.

--- Quote from: Kyzrati on October 13, 2015, 05:25:05 AM --- (And non-combat bots are allowed to pass you to avoid creating annoying bottlenecks.)

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the explanation.

Another question:  when using manual input at a terminal, I can scroll through every command I have ever input.  Is there a way to delete these commands?  Some commands are not so useful, and I have also some typos. 

Kyzrati:

--- Quote from: zill on October 14, 2015, 01:14:09 AM ---Are they as trigger happy as me, or will they prefer line-of-sight?  With so many rockets flying around, I assumed they were firing through each other.

--- End quote ---
Haha, they'll only ever take a shot when they have LOS, but just like you and everyone else they may not have the greatest chance to hit depending on the circumstances! So stray shots are equally blind in this case. In fact, in my opinion taking stray shots (from all sides) into account is a pretty important part of strategy regarding tactical positioning when its time to line up to attack, or defend.

However, you'll notice that projectiles do sometimes appear to pass through robots--that's possible with smaller chassis since they don't occupy the entire space at their position. The projectile just managed to squeeze past them.

--- Quote from: zill on October 14, 2015, 01:14:09 AM ---Another question:  when using manual input at a terminal, I can scroll through every command I have ever input.  Is there a way to delete these commands?  Some commands are not so useful, and I have also some typos. 

--- End quote ---
Hm, not currently, no. It wouldn't be impossible to add a special command for that. I've already used up a lot of the special keys for that mode, actually. Like you'd think the Delete key would be appropriate and intuitive, but both that and Ctrl-Delete already do something while typing, as do Escape/Enter/Backspace/Ctrl-Backspace/Arrows/Ctrl-Arrows/Home/End... You can see I'm a fan of hotkey-based text editing :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version