Grid Sage Forums

• April 19, 2024, 06:26:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: My first win (stealth)  (Read 3680 times)

bluemoo

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
My first win (stealth)
« on: October 08, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »

This run started as part of a series in which I was trying to learn how terminal hacking works. My goal was to either find a stash of Imp Flight Units or to get the Schematic and manufacture them. I succeeded in neither, as Level 1 Terminals can't do it, and Level 2 were too hard. I decided to take it seriously after realizing I had a pretty good build at floor -7.

The main thing that was interesting about this run was the extreme movement speed I reached. For the second half the run, my 'normal' movement speed was 16, in that it took either no net energy and heat, or very little. I achieved this around Level -7. My 'emergency' movement speed was 6, or 1600%. I'm actually pretty sure that's not supposed to be possible: It took Improved VTOL Module, Experimental Cesium-ion Thruster in Overload, and any other flight unit. The reason I say it doesn't seem like you're supposed to get it, is that the Imp VTOL module and the Thruster both say your base is 30, with a maximum of -20 from other thrusters. Thus, with both of those turned on, and the latter overloaded, you have 30-20 = 10. If you then turn on another Flight Unit, your base movement goes up to 31, but your 'bonus' gets increased beyond the stated maximum, to -25, putting you at 6. This, despite the fact that the 'best speed' from the Flight Unit is supposed to b 20. Perhaps I misunderstand movement mechanics - I'd love to be corrected if anyone has thoughts on the matter. Even so, I am of the opinion that it's too fast, because the other robots don't even really react to you - you have to make a choice to sit around and get noticed, and you can escape from anything.

Floor -7 was where everything came together for me. Due to the fact that I fell through the Chute Trap 3 times on this level and my map kept getting reset, I spent as much time on it as on the remaining floors combined. By the end of it, Swarmers stopped being annoying, and started to just look like a great source of Flight Units. Incidently, even ignoring my speed shenanigans from the previous paragraph, Flight Units are pretty great. They are plentiful and with a top speed of 20, I think that you could win a stealth run with just those for propulsion. You don't really need carrying capacity, as hacking units don't require it.

I knew I was going to win when I picked up an Advanced Signal Interpreter somewhere in the middle of the Complex. Suddenly, I was able to avoid almost every enemy combat robot. Combined with my super speed, I was rarely in danger. I don't believe I was shot at at any point from level -6 until the end of -2. Only at the end of -1 did I really take any serious damage, because of my lack of familiarity with what to expect.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My strategy on the second half of the complex was to wander around until I found a Terminal, manually hack it to find stair locations, and then just head straight there. At -2 I picked up some armor to put into my spare utility slots, which probably saved me when I got shot up at the end.

I had a lot of fun being a stealthy, Katana wielding Ninja robot, and as I ignored quite a few of the game mechanics due to speed + sensors, I still have a lot to learn. Also, what I know of the story is great, and I need to go explore the Caves. In my next few runs I'll probably continue trying to figure out if hacking for Schematics is worth it. Though, I ended with a pretty low score (6999)... I wonder if it's possible to escape with exactly 6500...

Score sheet:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:04:25 PM by bluemoo »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: My first win (stealth)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 06:50:27 PM »

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. For a new player, that was pretty fast :)

I achieved this around Level -7. My 'emergency' movement speed was 6, or 1600%. I'm actually pretty sure that's not supposed to be possible: It took Improved VTOL Module, Experimental Cesium-ion Thruster in Overload, and any other flight unit. The reason I say it doesn't seem like you're supposed to get it, is that the Imp VTOL module and the Thruster both say your base is 30, with a maximum of -20 from other thrusters. Thus, with both of those turned on, and the latter overloaded, you have 30-20 = 10. If you then turn on another Flight Unit, your base movement goes up to 31, but your 'bonus' gets increased beyond the stated maximum, to -25, putting you at 6. This, despite the fact that the 'best speed' from the Flight Unit is supposed to b 20. Perhaps I misunderstand movement mechanics - I'd love to be corrected if anyone has thoughts on the matter.
The bonus limit on a standard flight unit is 3, rather than 2 for the others, so while the base speed averages out to 31, it allows the standard flight unit to apply its own -5 modifier after the other two, so 31-20-5 = 6. (However, the system's calculations are not perfect in that regard, because I believe that in order to be applied the Flight Unit with the higher limit must be stored after the other(s) within the internal representation of your inventory contents, which doesn't make a lot of sense and is something I'd like to fix as we work on the Great Propulsion Rebalancing.)

You've achieved the fastest recorded speed in the game. In theory it's possible to get even faster (the game's cap doesn't kick in until 3), but I don't think anyone can successfully support the number of required overloaded propulsion to pull that off. Which is probably a good thing :P

Even so, I am of the opinion that it's too fast, because the other robots don't even really react to you - you have to make a choice to sit around and get noticed, and you can escape from anything.
Did you have to avoid any stasis traps? :P (were you scanning for them?)

Though, I ended with a pretty low score (6999)... I wonder if it's possible to escape with exactly 6500...
That would be an impressive feat. I think it might be possible theoretically, but don't quote me on that... (Come to think of it, "lowest scoring win" would be a good Achievement!)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

bluemoo

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 02:54:59 AM »

The bonus limit on a standard flight unit is 3, rather than 2 for the others, so while the base speed averages out to 31, it allows the standard flight unit to apply its own -5 modifier after the other two, so 31-20-5 = 6. (However, the system's calculations are not perfect in that regard, because I believe that in order to be applied the Flight Unit with the higher limit must be stored after the other(s) within the internal representation of your inventory contents, which doesn't make a lot of sense and is something I'd like to fix as we work on the Great Propulsion Rebalancing.)
This might explains some weirdness I ran into in  previous run where turning on a flight unit actually slowed me down significantly.

You've achieved the fastest recorded speed in the game. In theory it's possible to get even faster (the game's cap doesn't kick in until 3), but I don't think anyone can successfully support the number of required overloaded propulsion to pull that off. Which is probably a good thing :P
I accept your challenge :)

No, I ignored traps entirely. I suppose the wrong trap would have ruined my run, so I got lucky in that regard. I remember one EM trap that startled me when it went off, but didn't really cause any problems. There were the 3 seperate Chute Traps that I hit on -7, but those ended up being a good thing overall, due to the equipment I subsequently found. Does a Chute trap totally reset the map you were on when you return to it, or do you just forget the map?

That would be an impressive feat. I think it might be possible theoretically, but don't quote me on that... (Come to think of it, "lowest scoring win" would be a good Achievement!)
You'd definitely need to get lucky in the early game to escape the swarmers, but I can only think of one part of the game where you actually need to do damage (or at least I did). Maybe even harder would be that you can't use any prototype flight units?

Keep up the fun work!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »

This might explains some weirdness I ran into in  previous run where turning on a flight unit actually slowed me down significantly.
There's another situation where being more overweight and activating extra propulsion that doesn't result in being less overweight actually slows you down, too. That's something else to fix soon.

No, I ignored traps entirely. I suppose the wrong trap would have ruined my run, so I got lucky in that regard.
Yeah, an unseen stasis trap could spell the end of a run, more so than other traps which aren't so bad (and are unlikely to trigger on a flying bot anyway), so it can make sense for fast runs to be on the lookout for those.

Does a Chute trap totally reset the map you were on when you return to it, or do you just forget the map?

You'd definitely need to get lucky in the early game to escape the swarmers, but I can only think of one part of the game where you actually need to do damage (or at least I did). Maybe even harder would be that you can't use any prototype flight units?
That's right, no prototypes, either!

I was thinking about this comment from earlier:
Even so, I am of the opinion that it's too fast, because the other robots don't even really react to you - you have to make a choice to sit around and get noticed, and you can escape from anything.
I believe the original Alpha was better balanced for the right amount of difficulty for speed runs (harder than it is now, but not impossible), while since then changes to squads to increase the feasibility of late-game combat runs have made it easier to speed run. I'm not too worried about the particular balance there yet, since we still have to add new features and branches; also, it's true that once you're moving at the fastest flight speeds you're nigh uncatchable, but without that speed you could get picked apart pretty quickly. At the extreme it becomes a game of using your wits and parts to avoid all contact with the enemy. (The last floor is also bugged so you're not seeing the same amount of resistance you should be.)

If necessary, there are several options for increasing the difficulty solely for speed runs. We'll see what happens!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

fernsauce

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 08:25:09 PM »

If you wanted to hit 6500 exactly, you wouldn't be able to even identify any prototypes, because you get points for those.

I tried such a pacifist run for about 10 minutes, upon which point I ran into Swarmers, which wouldn't have been so bad except I blew one of them up via ramming to try and get past them. It's definitely pretty difficult, but probably doable if you can get through Materials.

With regards to stasis traps:
Spoiler: secrets inside (click to show/hide)

bluemoo

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 03:13:13 AM »

Ahh, brilliant Fernsauce. Thank you for the information :)