• March 28, 2024, 07:23:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Any luck with Wine on OSX? [SOLUTIONS INSIDE]  (Read 43541 times)

skymaker

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Re: Any luck with Wine on OSX? [SOLUTIONS INSIDE]
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2016, 06:39:06 PM »

Thanks Kyzrati; I'll give that thread a look. =)

16161d

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2016, 06:30:35 PM »

I've had no problems with Cogmind on Wine besides that the mouse cursor is very choppy and drags a bit. I have a feeling like theres a setting somewhere when creating the wine config that will remedy this as I've faced the issue with other wine builds and resolved it, but I'm not aware of a solution right now.

EDIT: Tried another build using the step by step guide in this thread and the mouse now works smoothly again. Glad I found this thread. I hope we can get a wrapper included in the Steam release eventually!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 07:35:55 PM by 16161d »
/u/16161d

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2016, 08:04:15 PM »

Yep, a wrapper is definitely planned! The main reason it hasn't happened already is it's not something I can easily do myself, so will probably rely on outside help...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Chad

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2016, 01:31:34 PM »

Status update about my "special" problem.
Had a partial success two weeks ago using "Set Maxfiles to 10240", but it worked just twice...

But today I just randomly started the game on my Macbook and all problems were gone! I haven't done anything on the Macbook (haven't even rebooted...). Finally, I can play Cogmind on both, my iMac and Macbook. But where the probelm was? I don't know. I hope it will be gone forver!

Thx for the support Kyzrati (can't wait for the next patch)!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2016, 06:33:45 PM »

Okay, well, that's odd, wonder what changed xD. I always try to help when I can!--or get someone else to help :P

Next release will take a little longer, but it'll be a nice one!

FisherMUN

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2017, 05:01:34 AM »

TLDR: Cogmind still works flawlessly in wineskin in 2017.

I thought it might provide some peace of mind to know that c909's original wineskin instructions and GlennEhrlich's subsequent fullscreen for wineskin instructions work flawlessly on a Early 2011 MacBook Pro in OSX 10.11.3 (El Capitan) running Cogmind V2.1.

I primarily use the mouse and some original keybindings. When I say flawlessly I do mean flawlessly.

@Kyzrati, I wouldn't waste any time developing or even thinking about developing a cross-platform solution. I fully agree with your plan, if an official wrapper is going to exist find somebody else to do it for you.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2017, 07:35:24 AM »

Thanks for the update and vote of confidence, FisherMUN!

I've certainly postponed even the wrapper simply because it's so easy to get setup now, though I imagine I'll still want to do one eventually. For now anyway I decided it's more important to do Steam first, since that involves learning about their installer system which I don't even understand in Windows yet :P

When I say flawlessly I do mean flawlessly.
:D

vodkat

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2017, 06:20:39 PM »

Just wanted to chip in and say that on High Serra that wineskin still works fine but I needed to go into Cogmind.app > Wineskin.app > Set Screen Options and then disable 'Auto Detect GPU Info for Direct3D' to get the game to work.

In a totally unrelated note, it would be very helpful to be able to increase the fontsize in game, I had to downscale my screen to 1152x720 to be able to easily read what was happing onscreen!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2017, 05:50:08 AM »

Thanks for the info vodkat, that setting requirement makes sense since Cogmind doesn't use Direct3D or the GPU at all :P

Very interesting that downscaling actually helped you! I've never heard of anyone actually using that approach since it would generally make things more unreadable. Since that doesn't increase the number of rows on the screen, but you find it more readable, perhaps you should instead use your native resolution and switch to a different font, like Terminus? Or did you try that?

As per this page linked from the System Requirements, you can't increase the font size beyond what your resolution supports, but that's not really what determines true cell size anyway--physical screen dimensions are what matters, so everything will be larger on a larger display.

leoleez

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Game Crashes in OSX High Sierra
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2018, 03:05:35 PM »

I understand the game is currently in development, and seemingly focused on Windows.
But I've been trying to get the game working on OSX High Sierra and have had no luck with the latest version of Wine.
I'll attach a log of the crash on Wine, as it's a little esoteric of myself. Let me know if this issue is something that we can troubleshoot. It looks like it's either missing some permissions or some library.

Leo

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Game Crashes in OSX High Sierra
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2018, 12:35:19 PM »

Yeah this'll be something that other Mac users will have to help with since I don't have/use one (this is part of why there's no official non-Windows version since I can't personally offer the same personal system support and suggestions that I can on Windows :/).

Since it's an issue with your specific OSX/Wine setup rather than a bug in the game. I'll move it to the Support board thread where all the OSX solutions/walkthroughs are (not sure if you've checked that thread yet, but in any case it's where someone might be able to help--I'll ask other Mac users what they think, as we have several on the Discord server).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2019, 09:19:10 PM »

Warning to macOS users: The latest version from Apple, Catalina/10.15, is incompatible with Cogmind, so the only option to play Cogmind or other 32-bit games (or other games through Wine) is to not upgrade, or dual boot, as suggested by Valve.

I've written more about my stance on macOS here on the blog. Apple's moves and general behavior in recent years have killed any chance of releasing a click-to-play version on that platform.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2019, 12:02:37 AM »

Additional update on the Catalina situation: the official Crossover 19 release reportedly runs Cogmind on Catalina just fine, even though it's 32-bit on a 64-bit system :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2022, 02:57:04 AM »

Update for M1 users: See this thread for how to get it running fine there, courtesy of Luigi.
Pages: 1 2 [3]