Grid Sage Forums

• April 18, 2024, 06:01:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: No audio  (Read 1457 times)

bitflipper

• Unaware
    • View Profile
No audio
« on: July 01, 2022, 06:07:16 PM »

I just got this game and when I attempt to play it, I get no audio. Looking that the run.log, I see this:

Code: [Select]
[ 75496] I=0001391 |   Initializing audio
[ 75496] W=0001391 |   XAudio() | Mix_OpenAudio() failed to initializeNo available audio device
[ 75496] I=0001391 |   Creating console
[ 75496] I=0001393 \---DONE
[ 75496] I=0001407 Setting video mode

I do indeed have an audio device: SteelSeries Arctis 7 wireless headphones. I get audio from the OS and every other application. Weirdly, if I open the volume mixer with Cogmind running, I don't see Cogmind as a listed application. I'm not sure what else to try.

One potentially salient detail is that the Arctis 7s actually have two audio channels: one for game audio and one for voice chat. Maybe the game doesn't support this for some reason? They are pretty popular headphones and I use them with all sorts of other games.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: No audio
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 12:01:38 AM »

Yeah not the first I've heard of it (I think this is the second such case over the years?), but Cogmind uses an old game engine (SDL 1.2) and some modern hardware with multiple channels handled through software like that likely won't work. Cogmind's audio is handled directly through the OS (for example by Windows 10), but the drivers you install for hardware like that mess with the usual processing such that Cogmind can't actually access the audio device, as it's hidden behind some other layer the OS unfortunately does not seemlessly expose to the game.

If you revert to using the OS's own drivers (or just another piece of hardware that will do that automatically) the game will be able to access the sound card normally.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

bitflipper

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 11:16:08 PM »

I tried this (actually completely uninstalled the SteelSeries drivers cuz I really want to play this game) and even with those completely uninstalled and the wireless headphones receiver removed from my PC, I don't get any audio on wired headphones. Is there something else I can check? Not sure what to do

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 12:35:37 AM »

Oh no, sorry you went through that and it still isn't working for you...

For some reason it still can't find your audio hardware, though it's really just asking the OS for access to whatever the system's audio device is... Something else must be preventing this, since the game gets a "no audio device" response from the engine, though there's nothing extra I can do on the game side to see what that is.

Haven't heard of anyone simply not getting it to work at all in the end like this. Another possibility is specific to Linux, where some people in the past have had audio configuration issues and needed to change an environment variable or something like that to get it to work (you didn't mention what OS you were using, though I assumed Windows, not Linux).

bitflipper

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 12:49:44 PM »

Yeah, I'm on Windows. Hmm, what you are saying makes sense, but IDK enough about Windows to debug any further

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 05:55:41 AM »

Argh, sorry can't help further with this issue myself :/