Grid Sage Forums

• April 23, 2024, 02:34:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Blade Traps: Some thoughts  (Read 1955 times)

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Blade Traps: Some thoughts
« on: September 05, 2015, 01:05:19 PM »

I think blade traps need some work.  I just had the pleasure of a storage unit being sliced off, which spilled my stuff everywhere.  It was a blade trap array of some sorts, so going after my severed bits caused more stuff to get sliced off.  Since my stuff was covering the floor I couldn't even see the traps so I once or twice blundered onto one yet again. On the next level, the exact same thing immediately happened again literally a few steps from the stairs and I quit the game out of frustration. 

I can imagine the odd emergent scenario where blade traps add something very interesting (having propulsion sliced off while fleeing from an enemy for example).  However, having something sliced off in the middle of am empty corridor is just annoying.  When that something is a storage unit it's especially unfun and just serves to generate a whole bunch of key presses.

I'm not sure what to suggest.  I think once there's a "are you sure you want to step on that known trap" feature, it'll be slightly less annoying.  Regardless, I ate a lot of explosive, EMP, and alarm traps in my seed game this morning, and none were frustrating or tedious like blade traps. 

It's possible I'm just being a baby.  On the other hand, a feature that routinely leads to you having to pick up half your inventory is just not that fun. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:18:53 PM by Happylisk »

Adraius

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Blade Traps: Some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 02:19:51 PM »

Ha!  I had the exact same unfortunate experience with a Blade Trap minefield where the first one sliced off a Storage Unit and I triggered multiple more traps recovering my items. =(

It was a pain in the arse, and I absolutely hated the corruption effect that caused you to potentially reject storage devices, but for some reason I didn't hate this as much.  I think that having it be a physical trap in the ground instead of a effect that can occur spontaneously at any time when corrupted makes it seem more 'fair' to me - though logically that intuitive response has some holes. =P I'll agree with you right now that Blade Traps are the most annoying type of trap currently - that said, I'm not convinced they need changing yet.

Happylisk

• Sigix
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 2nd place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 05:26:53 PM »

I hate this waaay more than the corruption effect, because if a storage unit is sliced off in a field of them it's absolute hell getting your items back.

I'm a believer in constructive feedback, so here's some suggestions: 1) an item sliced off by a blade trap cannot land on a known blade trap; or 2) blade traps only fire once, and after they trigger they blade remains upright (creating a barrier like a wall that can be blown up). 

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 07:12:18 PM »

Nope, not whiny at all. And I have a much better solution I should've implemented, but hadn't thought to do yet since I didn't encounter this situation to remind me: simply treat it like the corrupted part rejection, where Storage Units are immune.

I did think it was kinda funny to have a few parts sliced off in a minefield, which happened to me during testing, but an entire storage unit is just mean, and a rather significant waste of time and effort. This will be done for the next release, which comes out this week :)

(I'd also like to get the known trap step warning in there, but I may not have enough time before the next release because there's a lot of preparation to do for the upcoming event.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

endlessblaze

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • FIRE THE EM CANNONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 12:04:05 PM »

I finaly got the time to download the latest version, so I will now be able to check out traps with my own eyes. I will join the discussion after I find some!