Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:19:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Second promising run for the Tournament (Over now...)  (Read 2977 times)

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Second promising run for the Tournament (Over now...)
« on: September 20, 2015, 02:51:52 AM »

First up, this is a repost from reddit.  There's already a little bit there and I'm taking a break from the game overnight for some much needed rest due to having work in the morning (no updates for the next 18 hour or so).  I'll be keeping both threads updated as I go.  Enjoy :)

I had a bit of fun doing a running update on my previous run, so I thought I would give it another go.  This Cogmind is significantly curioser than the last and has been delving into the Terminals to find out more about its situation and where it is:

I'm on Level -8 and feeling confident.  Noticed some Tunnelers building a room and my Structural Scanner picked up a secret door in the wall on my return.  Legs are holding out for now.  I wonder what a Derelict Wizard is?

EDIT

Starting Level -6.  Not much to report on the Terminals front, just looked into information on the Caves and Complex 01B0 (I think?).  Level -7 was short as I found the exit very quickly, only two or three Programmers to add to the tally.  I also discovered one of my favourite early-game weapons inside a Hauler that couldn't move quickly enough ;).  Let's see how the Factory hostiles continue to treat my ascension.

EDIT

Level -6 continues as expected and the robots still in residence might be a bit annoyed now.  It also seems like Earth is a bit stuffed, or was... (what year is this again?).  I was was just minding my own business when

A hatch slides open and sucks a vortex of air into the floor

I don't know where I am, but that's starting feel like my new normal.  Here's what I have on-hand.  Onwards!

EDIT

Story and item spoilers behind the next two links.  You have been warned!

Back on Level -6 and my confidence is waning.  I made a new friend, lost all my stuff, and all I have to show for it is this non-functional Centrium Greatsword.  I fear the end may be near...

EDIT

Why, hello there Level -5.  When I dragged myself back to Level -6 things looked like this.  Now?  It's looking a little more like this.  I immediately found a cache of Heavy EM Shotguns and a Drone Bay.  The Drones were able to fly everywhere without being attacked so I tucked myself into a corner and had the drones scout the exit plus a few much needed items.  Once everything I needed was located I proceeded to collect it all and headed to the exit.  Chalk up another couple of Hunters, a squad of Grunts, an Explosive Trap, and a Heavy Plasma Cannon (damn those faulty prototypes!  Hopefully I can find somewhere to fix it on this level).

EDIT

Level -5, I love you!  I wasn't intending on going a full Treads combat-run, but you delivered.  After taking out a Sentry and discovering a couple of Heavy Treads how could I resist?  I was a bit sad when I lost my Reactive Heavy Armor, but it wasn't really helping with all the Programmers.  I briefly had a friend in the form of a Sentry who died defending me quite successfully (I'll miss you).  Got a bit banged up before making my way to Level -4.  With a bit of luck I'll be able gear-up and take on some Behemoths :D  Here's my current inventory.

P.S. I'll have to take a break from this game until tomorrow.  If some time frees up tonight I'll update again sooner.

EDIT

Well... Game over :(

I was able to get pretty geared up on Level -4, but not with the utilities or weapons I was really looking for.  This screen doesn't show it, but I had to go full kinetic weapons after a few scrapes which went counter to my heavy energy/cooling build in the Utility department.  Then, some Hunters and Programmers found me, then more, and more...  Next I started going crazy with System Corruption, a Terminal laughed at me, and my feelings got hurt...  Queue SwarmersThis was the last screen of my inventory before I "unexpectedly" died.  Alas, no escape for the brave Cogmind this run.

Final screen for those who are interested.

Fun run!  Will play again :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:22:59 AM by jimmijamjams »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Second promising run for the Tournament (in progress... For now...)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 07:12:50 AM »

and all I have to show for it is this non-functional Centrium Greatsword.  I fear the end may be near...
That's what Repair Stations are for ;)

Though it has a relatively high rating and thus will require a better station and some hacking skill, or luck, to repair :/ (You obviously snatched that from within the chute!)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 07:15:46 AM »

That's what Repair Stations are for ;)
Wait... I thought non-functional meant it couldn't be repaired.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 07:38:52 AM »

If a Repair Station lists an item to prepare for a scan, it can be repaired. A good enough station can repair nearly anything. The exceptions are non-functional prototypes, alien tech, player-unidentified parts, and deteriorating parts.

Restoring non-functional parts to normal is one of the main features of Repair Stations.

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 08:18:11 AM »

(You obviously snatched that from within the chute!)

I might have even picked up a functional one if my storage hadn't been obliterated :).  As it turned out it wasn't really required after I scouted out the map with the drones and geared up again.  I find melee weapons work best with a speedier build.  There's a certain guilty pleasure of swooping in and cracking open Haulers :D

I'm really liking the new trap system, it adds a whole new flavour to the game.  I'm also very happy you stuck with the "^".  Not that I would have minded either way, I'm sure I could have come to enjoy the underscore in the same way :)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 08:19:31 AM »

If a Repair Station lists an item to prepare for a scan, it can be repaired. A good enough station can repair nearly anything. The exceptions are non-functional prototypes, alien tech, player-unidentified parts, and deteriorating parts.

Restoring non-functional parts to normal is one of the main features of Repair Stations.

Oh... I thought if any item were non-functional it meant it was exactly like a non-functional prototype (which I had read somewhere as being unable to be repaired).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Second promising run for the Tournament (Over now...)
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 08:50:52 AM »

Glad you're enjoying the traps, jimmi, and it was pretty much always going to to be '^' for me--just the idea of trying something new hit me one day so I shared it just to see what everyone else would say :)

Oh... I thought if any item were non-functional it meant it was exactly like a non-functional prototype (which I had read somewhere as being unable to be repaired).
Internally the word for those is just "Broken," which I think is a good bit clearer, but that sounds like a very uninspired word in a sci-fi context so I went with "non-functional" instead, which might have slightly stronger connotations of their state being irreversible. Unless it was just the prototype situation that threw you off.