Grid Sage Forums

• April 20, 2024, 05:39:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Hit chance modifiers  (Read 1625 times)

Gobbopathe

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Hit chance modifiers
« on: August 21, 2015, 07:19:46 AM »

Hi !

First post here so, first of all, my greatest congratulations to the author ! I am very glad to start chatting with Cogmind's community. I am a quite experienced roguelike player (see Gobbopathe's youtube channel for more information but beware : I am french ;)
First question : for the first time I activated in the option the full log view, I like to read all the details in dice rolls.
I was glad to read some lines like :
60 + 3r - 1h - 10m = 52
60 + 3r - 1h + 1ht = 63
60 - 10s - 1h + 0ht - 10m - 11mt

etc...

I could guess the meaning of some of the letters, for instance :
3r means the enemy I shoot is 5 tiles away, giving a +3 bonus (1 square less than the maximum 6 where you get only the minimum precision)
ht is relative to heat bonus (3% total heat as explained in the manual)
10s is a malus because of the small size of the enemy
10m is a malus because I (or the enemy ? who exactly ?) moved last turn before shooting

But I still don't get the -1h and the -11mt
I am pretty sure there are other letters like this too

Could we together try to get an exhaustive list of this modifiers ?

Thanks a lot !

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Hit chance modifiers
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 07:36:43 AM »

Hi Gobbopathe! Thank you :D

I'm glad you managed to figure most of those out, and I'll admit that at it's highest detail level the calc window is not exactly friendly. That feature was added during the 7DRL by request from the hardcore number-crunching type of players :P

I'd like to redesign the calculations to make it more readable (not a near term project), though for now the one advantage we have is it packs a ton of information into the tightest space possible.

The advanced version of the original 7DRL manual had a breakdown of the meanings, but I left it out of the new manual since I'd planned to change that UI :/. For reference, here's the text from the original (which still applies):
Code: [Select]
There are several verbosity settings, depending on how much detail you want, though keep in mind that all this information really clutters the log with extra information, so the more detailed versions are generally suitable for testing new builds rather than general play.

Basic: The default.
Cogmind Volleys: Shows your own volley in the format "Volley ([#weps]): [#] Hits, [#] Misses"
All Volleys: Also shows enemy volley data using the same format as above.
Detailed: Shows firing data for every weapon as "[wep] ([hit%]) [Hit/Miss]"
High Detail: Shows firing data for every weapon as "[wep] ([base%]+[wep targeting]+[launcher targeting]-[recoil]=[hit%]) [Hit/Miss]" as well as hit part data as "[part] damaged: [dmg]"
Full Detail: Hit Cogmind part data adds chance to hit given part after its name, and volley base hit chance breakdown shown as "Base Hit%: base+[rng]r+[size]s+[cogheat]hc+[targheat]ht+[cogutil]uc+[targutil]ut+[cogmove]mc+[targmove]mt+[targfly]f=[X]%" (leaving out any zeros)

Be aware that internally the game uses decimals to calculate hit chance, so the values shown may be slightly inaccurate due to rounding.

Firing information is not shown for shooters outside your FOV.

I've also just checked the source itself, and here you can see the entirety of the internal values in chart form (looks like I changed a couple of them to improve consistency):
Code: [Select]
"r", // HIT_COMPONENT_RANGE,
"s", // HIT_COMPONENT_SIZE,
"h", // HIT_COMPONENT_HEAT_ATTACKER,
"ht", // HIT_COMPONENT_HEAT_TARGET,
"u", // HIT_COMPONENT_UTILITY_ATTACKER,
"ut", // HIT_COMPONENT_UTILITY_TARGET,
"m", // HIT_COMPONENT_MOVEMENT_ATTACKER,
"mt", // HIT_COMPONENT_MOVEMENT_TARGET,
"ft", // HIT_COMPONENT_FLYING_TARGET,
"li", // HIT_COMPONENT_LINKED,

Does that answer everything?