Grid Sage Forums

• March 19, 2024, 05:17:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Cogmind isn't DPI-aware  (Read 2990 times)

db48x

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Cogmind isn't DPI-aware
« on: May 19, 2015, 06:42:46 PM »

This causes windows to automatically scale the game window size up if the user has set their system to high-dpi mode. The game window is then much larger than the screen size, with most of the content pushed off-screen. Setting this up correctly is just a matter of calling an API function to tell windows not to do that, although you should then scale up the game content to match the user's DPI choice. As a workaround, the user can right-click on the cogmind executable and choose 'Disable display scaling on High-DPI systems' in the compatibility tab (I may be misremembering the wording there; I'm not right in front of a windows computer at the moment.)

MSDN docs are here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd464659%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

daviwil

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind isn't DPI-aware
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 09:26:54 PM »

I have the same problem while running with a desktop resolution of 2560x1440.  db48x gives solid advice on how to fix this.  For others who run into this issue, his workaround of turning off display scaling for cogmind.exe works perfectly.

Here's a screenshot of the setting: http://imgur.com/0DQua5N

Now I can try out the game :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:24:25 PM »

Thank you for the help, guys :).

Someone else reported a similar issue via Twitter, and another cause might be Win 8 settings that automatically scale all applications to make them larger. Cogmind is not aware of these options, so... chaos ;). Thanks for providing the workaround, and thanks for the help finding a fix. I'll correct that for the next release.

Note: Over the years I've so far attempted using many different methods Microsoft suggests to work around this issue, but none have been successful so far... For now the only way to correct for it is by changing the system setting.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:17:05 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 07:29:58 PM »

Pretty sure this has been fixed now, at least the changes were confirmed working for one player who originally had the same issue, and I haven't heard from anyone else since.

Will mark this fixed for now.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon