Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 01:12:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Few Suggestions  (Read 2115 times)

Warmist

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Few Suggestions
« on: July 20, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »

• Add names to layers for easier tracking
  • Add a way to move selection, sometimes it would be easier to fix stuff. I know that it could be done with copy/paste but it's one of those annoying things that you notice each time.
  • Add support for rexpaint to be able to use windows "open with" dialog - could be against current images folder idea
  • Lock layer. Happened a few times that i painted into "mobs" layer when i wanted to paint walls
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:02:17 PM by Warmist »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Few Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 09:41:42 PM »

The problem with the (extremely simple) layer interface is that it's tiny to conform to the existing tools box. How/where would you propose adding layer names? I agree that they are very helpful for handling multiple layers.

The layer UI is really tiny and full as is, but I like the idea of locking, and could fit it into the existing layout by reducing the "Del" to a single "X" button and putting a lock toggle between that and the Hide button.

Moving a selected area would require either a new tool that allows designation of an area for manipulation (which would have no other use since REXPaint doesn't currently allow for area-based manipulation) or possibly holding keys to activate some kind of "move mode" in which you designate an area then drag it while those keys are held. Seems even more fiddly than cut-paste, though...

I'd rather think that a selection tool would be predicated on the addition of area-based manipulation features, something that I've thought of doing before, but we'd really need an expanded UI area for that. Maybe an optional floating UI box with all kinds of advanced features?

Ideas are welcome.

Add support for rexpaint to be able to use windows "open with" dialog - could be against current images folder idea
I've considered that a few times, but yeah it's incompatible with the whole filesystem. The only way it would work (in theory) is to have Windows copy the image into the images directory if it's not already there.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Warmist

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Few Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 07:21:23 AM »

To be fair - haven't thought at all how UI would look like :D.
I thought that those arrows are a bit unneeded and then use dragging to reorder layers. And lastly if it's worth adding more complexity (if for example you would like to extend layers to support more of them, maybe animations and whatnot) add another window for managing many layers.

As for moving i imagined that it would work like copy. Just select area and it sticks to your pointer (like when pasting) and fill the empty area with 0 (not sure). But again this is not really very important.

Also i think that floating UI is only worth it if you have other features you want to add/move into it.

Lastly about "open with" i figured as much, and no copying would be worse (e.g. you think that it saved into target directory when really you saved into local dir).