• March 28, 2024, 03:29:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Running on Linux with Wine seems to work fine [SOLUTIONS INSIDE]  (Read 16904 times)

simendsjo

• Unaware
    • View Profile

A positive message for non-Windows users: The game seems to run just fine in Wine. Haven't experienced any problems so far.

It's way too soon to know if the game runs flawless, but at least it's playable thus far.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:57:03 PM by Kyzrati »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Running on Linux with Wine seems to work fine
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:53:43 AM »

Thanks for the notice!

I've indicated in a few places that this is the case, but it's obviously more meaningful coming from real players ;). I can confirm (from anecdotal evidence) that it will run flawlessly. There is a good number of Linux players running via Wine, they just haven't been talking about it here like the Mac players were over in the support forums.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

ukulele

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »

Agree, thanks for the heads-up. I've not bought Cogmind yet:-

1. kickstarter experiences have put me off early payments
2. End of month
3. Linux and requiring Wine (yet another kink)

But I think I will probably bite the bullet on this one and get cogmind relatively soon. Just looks and seems to play very well already. And the dev blogs are really insightful.

What's handy is a "Journal: Cogmind on Linux with Wine..."

1. Bought and extracted file to directory
2. Ran Wine
3. Did x to run Cogmind
4. Played and no problems for x hrs ; doing y runs etc

Reiver

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 05:19:07 PM »

... oh, yeah. I've been using the PlayOnLinux wine wrapper for Cogmind exclusively. I should probably have pointed that out at some point. ;)

The main problems I've had are WINE itself, which sucks at, eg, tabbing between windows. Cogmind has been behaving nicely, though. :)

simendsjo

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 02:00:18 AM »

(...)
What's handy is a "Journal: Cogmind on Linux with Wine..."

1. Bought and extracted file to directory
2. Ran Wine
3. Did x to run Cogmind
4. Played and no problems for x hrs ; doing y runs etc

Some simple scripts should fix this just fine. See the attached scripts which downloads/installs and runs through wine. Add your order id to install.sh, run it, then use run.sh to start the game.

ukulele

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »

Thanks for the tips and extra info. V useful.  :)

bluemoo

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Running on Linux with Wine seems to work fine [SOLUTIONS INSIDE]
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 03:09:31 AM »

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I'm tagging onto this old thread with another ubuntu problem/solution: On Ubuntu with wine, if you Alt-Tab away from Cogmind, it seems to freeze and needs to be killed. However, this is only in fullscreen mode. You can toggle it off, tab away, and then come back and everything works fine.

okr

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 04:59:00 AM »

Just to confirm Linux + Wine compatibility:

Cogmind runs smooth on current Manjaro (so it will likely run on Arch too) KDE with Wine 1.7.52.

HOWTO =] :

I just clicked on the executable and chose "Open with Wine". Wine downloaded Gecko (which was missing) and the game started in fullscreen. Oh, and its very pretty.

One thing specific to my config: if you're using the tiling KWin extension in KDE, switching between windows may cause weird problems in Cogmind (and any other fullscreen software..).

Enno

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 02:29:37 PM »

Cogmind runs also without any problems under Debian Jessie...of course using wine too.

owen

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 01:32:10 AM »

Just bought.

Running Ubuntu 14.04 with NVidia Gtx 750 Ti 2Gb with NVidia Linux drivers. No problems using WINE  8).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 01:37:00 AM »

Awesome, thanks for your support! ;D

skymaker

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 10:23:57 PM »

Running a fully updated instance of Chakra Linux (derived from Arch Linux) on a Lenovo thinkpad laptop.

So far, the game seems to run fine except for audio issues; the game has no sound or music at all.  I have checked that audio is enabled in both Wine and in Cogmind, and the Wine audio test sounds seems to work even though Cogmind's don't on the same settings.

I haven't run Wine previously on this system before I installed it to try out Cogmind, so this behavior is occurring in what is basically a fresh install of Wine.  I note that I sometimes seem to get some rundll32 (I think it was) error messages while Cogmind is loading, but my last test didn't bring those up.

UPDATE: I just learned that the "ABORT (suicide/restart)" feature doesn't seem to be working right; "SHUTDOWN (quit without saving)" apparently closes the program fine, but "ABORT" seems to result in the program hanging (either that or it's taking significantly longer to load than it did on startup).

Further suggestions on how I could try to fix/improve this behavior would be appreciated.  If I can supply additional useful information towards that end, please let me know.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 08:37:22 PM »

Whoa, whoops, I typed out a reply to this a couple days ago but don't see it here :/ (Must've been too busy switching around to different tasks and closed the window before hitting send :(. These past few days have been extremely crazy...)

This gist of it was I'll ask around for you because I don't have much personal experience with Wine or Linux. I wonder if other Windows programs run under your Wine setup have the same problem? (You aren't using it for anything else at the moment so I guess you might not know without trying some program.) To my knowledge there are multiple different "Wine engines," so maybe you just need another one which is more compatible? (As mentioned by some other Linux users in this thread, I believe. Yours is the first case I've seen in which it isn't running under Wine.)

And regarding your update, if you could attach the run.log file when that happens, I could tell you more about the cause. Since that doesn't happen normally, however, it too will be something related to your Wine setup, possibly that Cogmind is being blocked from doing something it wants to do in its local directory structure. Make sure that Cogmind is run with full admin permissions, without which it won't be able to operate normally.

Again, sorry for the late reply! I thought my post in this thread had already gone out...

Dinir

• Unaware
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • dinir.works
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 07:50:41 PM »

I think your best bet is to read https://wiki.winehq.org/Sound thoroughly.

I am sad to hear Cogmind is not running well on your environment: I am running it on Arch Linux on Lenovo laptop, so similar to your case. I hope there should be something I can help with.  :'(

Enno

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 04:29:29 PM »

...the game seems to run fine except for audio issues

Did you already try to start as root ?

Just to exclude permission-issues like i had
with the scoresheets back in the days...

Dinir

• Unaware
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • dinir.works
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 08:55:35 AM »

If it's about permission, gpasswd -a username audio(or wheel?) could be worth to try.
When I type groups I get: wheel bumblebee (name of the group for users).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:01:16 AM by Dinir »

skymaker

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 07:52:51 PM »

Hey Kyzrati, Dinir, Enno; thanks for your replies.  I've been off the forum for a bit due to life keeping me pretty busy these past few weeks.

Enno, I tried running Cogmind in wine as root, no dice.  The problem remains, and seems otherwise unchanged.  Worth trying though.  Dinir, I will try your solution, although Wine is literally the only thing dropping the audio ball in this way right now...

Kyzrati, this might help clarify the problem.  My terminal output from running the game, with Wine set to use ALSA, is;

Code: [Select]

[user@machine COGMIND (Alpha 10)]$ wine ./COGMIND.exe
fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0x33d808 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0x33d5c8 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0x33d3c8 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0x33d3b8 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"00000409", 0080: stub!
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"00000409", 0001: stub!
ALSA lib dlmisc.c:254:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
ALSA lib dlmisc.c:254:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
ALSA lib pcm.c:7963:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0xf71ced8 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x35d564) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x1001b34c) stub

...and when I checked in the target directory, here's what I found...

[user@machine COGMIND (Alpha 10)]$ ls /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/
smixer/                            libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so*  libasound_module_pcm_speex.so*       libasound_module_rate_samplerate_best.so@    libasound_module_rate_samplerate.so*
libasound_module_conf_pulse.so*    libasound_module_pcm_jack.so*   libasound_module_pcm_upmix.so*       libasound_module_rate_samplerate_linear.so@  libasound_module_rate_speexrate_best.so@
libasound_module_ctl_arcam_av.so*  libasound_module_pcm_oss.so*    libasound_module_pcm_usb_stream.so*  libasound_module_rate_samplerate_medium.so@  libasound_module_rate_speexrate_medium.so@
libasound_module_ctl_oss.so*       libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so*  libasound_module_pcm_vdownmix.so*    libasound_module_rate_samplerate_order.so@   libasound_module_rate_speexrate.so*

...and I'm a bit baffled by Wine's apparent inability to access a sound module that is apparently there and available, as far as I can tell.

As well, when I try to run with Pulse as my target driver, I get;

[user@machine COGMIND (Alpha 10)]$ wine ./COGMIND.exe
fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0x33d808 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0x33d5c8 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0x33d3c8 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0x33d3b8 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"00000409", 0080: stub!
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"00000409", 0001: stub!
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winepulse.drv": libpulse.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:mmdevapi:DllGetClassObject Driver initialization failed
err:ole:apartment_getclassobject DllGetClassObject returned error 0x80004005
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} could be created for context 0x1
err:dsound:get_mmdevenum CoCreateInstance failed: 80004005
fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0x35dced8 1 C) semi-stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x35d564) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x1001b34c) stub

I have tried using Wine in WinXP, Win7, Win10, and a few other modes.  No changes in behavior were observed.  I'll check out  https://wiki.winehq.org/Sound , hopefully that will give me some idea of what to try next.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:02:36 PM by skymaker »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 08:54:43 PM »

Hey, was wondering where you went off to :P

Kyzrati, this might help clarify the problem.  My terminal output from running the game, with Wine set to use ALSA, is;
I don't have any experience with Wine myself, but just from looking at that process right there, it seems to be checking the wrong directory for the Wine libraries (?). It says "Cannot open shared library /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/[filename]" but they are all actually in "/usr/lib32/alsa-lib/smixer/[filename]" (unless one can be sure it's also checking all subdirs, which is certainly possible). Just a thought.

Enno

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 04:33:15 PM »

fix:

pacman -S lib32-alsa-plugins
mkdir -p /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/
ln -s /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/

greetz

ukulele

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »

Yeah got this working on:-

* Ubuntu

Steps:-

1. Downloaded from the link.
2. Put in folder in directory under home and "extracted here".
3. Already had wine and updated (it updated: Mono and gecko)
4. opened command line: cd cogmind directory with the COGMIND.exe
5. wine COGMIND.exe

6. The game worked flawlessly... in full screen mode.
7. Alt+Tab does not work in this mode in wine.
8. Solution: Press F1 (or ?,F12)
9. Go To: Options: The first batch: Full Screen Mode: Tap OFF with the mouse.

10. If using Unity you may have to go to system settings > appearance > behaviour > ON for side-bar fade away (so you can see all the info).

So far I've not found an option to make the window smaller, if there is one? I also need to find the monitor dimensions screen size and choose the most appropriate one from the Options menu (F1 > 3 Options > ""Pixel Screen Res list"")

Just wanted to confirm: Flawless easy working of cogmind and the full screen solution is nice and clear.

Enno

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 07:28:50 AM »

you could set the map-height-and width in the cogmind.cfg
but thats not what you mean right ?
and point 4 and 5 you could also start in one line, for example:

wine start /unix /home/user/Cogmind-Alpha10/COGMIND.exe

Senjai

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 06:57:25 PM »

I know this post is old, but it seems to be the canonical resource for linux questions regarding cogmind.

In case anyone is curious, on a rather fresh install of ubuntu gnome 16.04 with an apt-get of wine, cogmind _just works_

You can ignore the pulseaudio issues, as long as your default device is configured, it should be fine. PA is always a PITA though.

AMA

Widmo

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 04:16:11 PM »

I think this is worth a mention. Cogmind bugs affecting only Linux do get fixed.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »

As promised :) (fortunately there has only been one such specific bug over the years--that one--although there have also been Linux Alt key issues that some keyboard players cannot get their settings to work around, so in the interest of QoL and Windows parity I've added alternative control schemes in those cases)

On an unrelated note, it should also be mentioned in this thread that while there are several multi-step guides to running Cogmind on Linux, it is also apparently quite easy to run it in a single step for those who already have a default Wine installation on the latest Ubuntu, for example. Simply open a terminal and navigate to the game folder, then launch it with
wine COGMIND.exe

iiu

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 01:57:26 PM »

i just tried to set up the game with wine and also didn't get any audio. in my case, there seemed to be a conflict between system and wine SDL audio libraries (see 'SDL applications' section of https://wiki.winehq.org/Sound).

i was able to fix it by launching the game with:
env SDL_AUDIODRIVER="" wine ./COGMIND.exe
this was the only issue i had. everything else is working fine without any further config.
(opensuse tumbleweed, using wine 2.11)
Pages: [1] 2