Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 06:17:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: OSX Freezing Issue  (Read 1609 times)

Kropatrick

• Unaware
    • View Profile
OSX Freezing Issue
« on: May 10, 2019, 11:03:50 AM »

Heya,

I bought the game a few days ago (as a standalone download from the website), and am consistently running into what might be an issue specific to my computer when running it in OSX (I'm currently on Mojave 10.14). I followed the OSX installation guide that gets passed around, and tried all the options, but was only able to get one very specific Winebottler configuration to work properly. Trying to package it with any other System Version typically does not work (7 worked once but only as an automatic launch during installation - would not launch manually; another time 7 worked but was extremely laggy and functionally unplayable). I can't produce launchable apps with either Wineskin or PlayOnMac (often it gets stuck while creating the wrapper, and if it does finish the wrapper won't launch; I've made sure to install the 2010 Visual C++ stuff when I do this).

A Winebottler setup with the System Version set to XP does run (I'm including a screenshot of my settings for that), and everything is flawless aside from a recurring bug where the game freezes permanently and requires a force-quit, and which occurs on every run.

This bug consistently occurs in the following circumstances:
*Almost always either in BR-AWN's hideout area, or on floor 3-5(?)
*Happens when doing one of the following (ranked from most to least common trigger for the freeze):
     *When a detailed description for an item is open (has happened at least twice with the Skeleton Box item you get as a reward in BR-AWN's
hideout, right after I installed it, but it seems it can happen with any item).
     *Mousing over (uninstalled) inventory items
     *Mousing over items on the ground
     *Using "3" to view labels for all items

I think it's consistently happening in the middle of mouse movement input? Not 100% sure.

Because it seems specifically tied to item-related stuff or perhaps mouse stuff I have a feeling it might be a specific bug that doesn't play nice with my computer rather than general instability but I'm not really sure. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it, otherwise I might get a Steam key and try running Linux but I'm trying to avoid doing so.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:05:37 AM by Kropatrick »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: OSX Freezing Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 04:32:41 PM »

Argh, that's too bad, it's definitely something with your particular setup since the game itself is extremely stable, including under Wine--sorry for the trouble!

Pretty interesting that you can get it running and it only fails under certain circumstances, also interesting that your best solution so far was to use... XP xD. It technically works, though there are different versions of XP and while I only ever tested it on XP SP3, it doesn't look like you can specify which in your setup there. That said, it really should work all the same on more recent systems, and the fact that you can only get it working via XP is troubling in itself--that seems like the main roadblock.

Personally I don't use OSX so can't offer direct support, but I can pass the message along and see if the community has any tips. There are quite a few Mac users playing without issue.

Thanks for the detailed post!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: OSX Freezing Issue
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 10:28:38 PM »

I've asked around but so far the only responses have said it's going to be something machine-specific so is hard to solve remotely. I recall one person having issues some years ago and they simply reinstalled their emulator and it worked normally after that. Kind weird that you've tried more than one and it doesn't run, wish I could offer more advice here.

Cogmind is super bare bones when it comes to Windows usage (as a software-only program that uses basic system calls to do everything, nothing fancy) so if any program works well, Cogmind will. This means there's gotta be something else at play here... we've had oddities happen on Windows installations from time to time as well, but it always turns out to be either an unusual system setting or third-party software that's interfering with the game's operation.

Bugs me that I can't go through a more specific troubleshooting routine for Macs like I can on Windows though xD
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon