• March 28, 2024, 03:14:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Show off your REXPAINT creations  (Read 112795 times)

nullzero

• Unaware
  • Linux gamer
    • View Profile
    • Groupees Profile
Re: Show off your REXPAINT creations
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2015, 03:21:42 PM »

This is getting me ideas...

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:24:00 PM by nullzero »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 09:17:01 AM »

Check this out.

Another idea i'm considering:

It would be a tool that would allow to track some simple stuff with the stuff. Also simplify some most done operations for forum rpg (currently using a ton of google sheets). Though i'm too lazy/busy/don't like any roguelike engine enough to do this...
I like the look (although of course you'd want to tweak the colors so it's easier to distinguish what's what in the UI). There is an increasing number of new roguelike engines coming out; must be about 10 of them by now in various languages... There's no complete list out there (I'll probably want to compile one at some point), but new ones pop up on Rogue Temple and /r/roguelikedev fairly often now. But none of them solve the lazy/busy part of the equation :P
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

nullzero

• Unaware
  • Linux gamer
    • View Profile
    • Groupees Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2015, 02:58:53 PM »

Check this out.

Wow... That's quite a bit of ascii overkill!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2015, 06:22:12 PM »

Hehe, yep. He's cheating because it's just a shader used on 3D models, but it's interesting to see. I've seen a doom-like game done in proper 3D ASCII rendering to an emulated terminal, but it was a long time ago and I don't have a link.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2015, 09:39:28 AM »

I'm putting together an improved REXPaint website to replace the current aging makeshift Blogger thing. Came up with a new logo for the site, made in REXPaint, of course :P

(And of course I also cheated by giving it a bit of algorithmic animation, which REXPaint can't do on its own... but RP sure made it a lot easier!)

Once the website's ready, I'll be working on a 1.0 release.

endlessblaze

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • FIRE THE EM CANNONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2015, 07:11:24 AM »

Sounds cool.

What sort of features can we expect?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2015, 07:27:12 AM »

Not a huge number of features. I'm not even sure yet, actually, since I haven't made the list! Putting the website together took longer than planned. That'll be done quite soon (probably upload it tomorrow), then I'll decide what to include for 1.0 and spend some time with that. It'll mostly be small stuff, since this is just going from a stable 0.99 to 1.0, but I did yesterday dream up an advanced feature which I personally think is pretty amazing: easy shifting of foreground/background colors of individual cells directly in an image by adjusting HSV values, which for me at least will make tweaking colors a lot more interesting. (It's hard to explain what this feature really does without a lot more detail, so I'll be creating a gif to show how it works.)

Right now we already have palette-based foreground/background color shifting, which I use a lot for my own art, but I've wanted an even more versatile system for a while and this seems will be a nice addition.

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2015, 10:13:41 PM »

It's been a while since I've had time to play around with REXPaint.  Thought I would show something I threw together just now.

Might have another go at X@COM over the break, I really didn't give it enough time the first go.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2015, 10:24:38 PM »

Ooh, that looks quite pretty!

When I think about getting back to X@COM, I wonder if I should switch it to an orange or possibly blue color theme. But green is so popularly associated with terminals (and the final game will have a very terminal theme), it might be too bold a move.

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2015, 11:16:16 PM »

I'll admit, the colour choice was influenced by the colour palette for the latest XCOM.  I do love that terminal-green, it would be a shame to change it.

melrabo

• Unaware
  • Hired gun artist
    • View Profile
    • Voxel Tiles!
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2015, 03:45:50 AM »

Google photos tends to screw my links because of privacy settings I don't know.
Hope it's visible.

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2015, 04:10:41 AM »

Wow! That's incredible!

Now I want to know about that derelict and why it's there.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2015, 05:33:07 AM »

Impressive work, melrabo!

Wondering about that derelict, too... how curious.

(The image is certainly visible, though it sure is a weird link. You can also just drop them into imgur and post that way; it's real quick to use.)

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2015, 06:58:00 AM »

Was having a play around with potential terminal/ASCII versions of games.  I thought Invisible Inc might make a good candidate:

If someone who knows something about programming (the best I can do is "Hello World") and has a friend at Klei that would give them the go-ahead I for one would be interested :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2015, 07:16:29 AM »

That looks really cool, exactly the kind of stuff I was always most hoping users would do with REXPaint: roguelike mockups!

All the other things users--many more than I imagined would ever pick it up--are quite neat, too, but this was the very first thing I thought of when releasing it years ago :D. In fact, I hope to encourage it with the competition next year...

With enough dedication and time anyone can make a roguelike. You know you want to start the libtcod python tutorial and join us on /r/roguelikedev :P

Now I'mma go put this in the gallery...

melrabo

• Unaware
  • Hired gun artist
    • View Profile
    • Voxel Tiles!
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2015, 07:32:27 AM »

Wow! That's incredible!

Well... Now that you mention it...

This is really a fast-creation tool.
Must soak into the manual to start doing Good Stuff with the advanced functions.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2015, 07:44:29 AM »

Ooooh... happy to see this thread getting so much love lately.

Glad you're getting into it, melrabo; once you get used to it the UI's great for fast drawing :D

By the way if any of you want to try out 1.0, I put up a preview version of it here. I just haven't uploaded the final official build to the main site yet. There are still a couple tiny things to work on, which I'll be doing very soon, but that version is stable and has new features like a real options menu, and it remembers your settings!

melrabo

• Unaware
  • Hired gun artist
    • View Profile
    • Voxel Tiles!
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2015, 09:06:17 AM »

And this closes the... euh... close-up to the 766A Morulzuglar disaster. 3 pics is enough.
We'll never know what happened to 766A Morulzuglar Station, but we can admire the stylish palette of the emergency EVA suits and lament how easily the helmets are fissured these days. Probably the logs auto-backup into the suit's computer ate all the security budget.

I'm much more into trains, so next time I guess I'll do some locomotives and carriages, adapting my voxel models.

¡Thanks for your attention, people!

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2015, 06:57:02 PM »

That looks really cool, exactly the kind of stuff I was always most hoping users would do with REXPaint: roguelike mockups!

All the other things users--many more than I imagined would ever pick it up--are quite neat, too, but this was the very first thing I thought of when releasing it years ago :D. In fact, I hope to encourage it with the competition next year...

With enough dedication and time anyone can make a roguelike. You know you want to start the libtcod python tutorial and join us on /r/roguelikedev :P

Now I'mma go put this in the gallery...

Thanks for the feedback.  My ideas for games have usually been far too ambitious with not enough background knowledge to start.  I've been lurking on /r/roguelikedev for a while now and this could be a project that has some very achievable elements.  It's not exactly a Roguelike mechanically, but it would look an awful lot like one :)

First time I've seen the new REXPaint site.  It's great!  I noticed you've put another one of my REXPaint creations in the gallery too!  Cheers :)

Wow! That's incredible!

Well... Now that you mention it...

(Awesome image of a derelict space station!)

This is really a fast-creation tool.
Must soak into the manual to start doing Good Stuff with the advanced functions.

Now that is an awesome image of a derelict space station!

The multitude of bodies is a nice touch as well.

melrabo

• Unaware
  • Hired gun artist
    • View Profile
    • Voxel Tiles!
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2015, 05:41:38 AM »

If I ever do a Roguelike game, it'll be a train themed one.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2015, 06:18:20 AM »

Anyone who looks at your website would be completely unsurprised :P

Nice job!

A train-themed roguelike could be really cool. I was thinking just recently that we need more roguelikes with truly unique themes.

melrabo

• Unaware
  • Hired gun artist
    • View Profile
    • Voxel Tiles!
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2015, 06:49:04 AM »

¿You mean, like a FANTASTIC VOYAGE roguelike?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, I've thought on so many variations and ways to explore the roguelike core elements... ¡One day, when i'm a retired videographer I'll code one or two!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 06:07:01 AM by melrabo »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2015, 07:48:28 PM »

Aw, we have to wait that long? ;)

This is a neat idea, too. I showed it around and it was much liked :D

melrabo

• Unaware
  • Hired gun artist
    • View Profile
    • Voxel Tiles!
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2015, 08:18:22 AM »

In fact, roguelikes are my favourite games, but I find them thematically and mechanically really similar. Specially those tied to a traditional D&D-esque conception. Move around. Bump into things. Use potions with familiar effects.

Cogmind shines in its uniqueness, has robots, has ranged weapons, and many other innovative features (no doubt that makes it more difficult to balance and adds challenge to its development). Others like Deadnout do a mix of genres that I love, but there's a mountain of ideas that can be explored, aesthetically, mechanically and thematically.

When I imagine the roguelikes I'd like to play games I try not to think on the main tropes of the genre, dungeons, dragons and so on. Classic and cheesy sci-fi is my favourite source of inspiration. Three silly examples:

Them - Giant ants and the possibility of invading the cave system of an ant colony to kill the queen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Incredible Srhinking Man and its downscaling - but even more terrible - menaces.
Incredible Voyage and the exploration of the strange planet a human body is in a limited time.

I'm toying with Python and Game Maker, for a wartrain-themed roguelike with simultaneous combat (you decide your attacks, the AI decides attacks, shells fly, soldiers assault, the damage happens to both sides, if you win you reclaim the oppononent's intact wagons). Heavily borrowing from an oooooold game called "TransArtica".

Rexpaint is great to quickly give shape to those ideas. And as an art tool gets a lovely retro feel I adore.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2015, 07:10:58 PM »

You'll find that a lot of 7DRLs experiment with non-trope themes, but most of the projects don't go further than that prototype stage. Cogmind was born as a 7DRL :). I think there's a lot of potential for alternative themes, and your train roguelike could turn into something great. Of course there's a lot to making a game besides doing REXPaint mockups, but they're good for focus and motivation :P

Simultaneous turns are certainly an interesting mechanic that isn't often done, too (difficult to pull off right!).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11