• April 19, 2024, 05:04:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Show off your REXPAINT creations  (Read 113434 times)

melrabo

• Unaware
  • Hired gun artist
    • View Profile
    • Voxel Tiles!
Re: Show off your REXPAINT creations
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2016, 09:59:18 AM »

The new setup possibilities are reaaaally great for compositing in 16:9 proportions and other exotic sizes. Specially, using >90*90 with a small font.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2016, 08:04:08 PM »

Lovely colors! And yeah it can be really nice working with a tiny font since you can more easily create detailed images that are somewhat less hostage to the shape of the glyphs you choose.

Interestingly, I notice in your image there you are using the 8x8 font, and the bottom center of your train cars use a line glyph which is actually incorrectly aligned in the spritesheet! I discovered this a couple weeks ago and fixed it on my end (and for the next release), but technically that one 8x8 glyph is wrong in all the REXPaint distributions right now. The top should be level with the glyphs to each side of it there. (Did you wonder about that?)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

melrabo

• Unaware
  • Hired gun artist
    • View Profile
    • Voxel Tiles!
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2016, 06:32:58 AM »

Damn, I just saw it now.
I composed that one using another font and then changed for the export.

About the colors, the Atari Palette is becoming my favourite, but I feel it's time to make my own custom one. My favourite scenes are rendered in many shades of a few hues, and it's not how default legacy palettes are structured.

Also, with the possibility of longer canvases, it's already timd to experiment with animations in several depths. But that'll wait for now.

melrabo

• Unaware
  • Hired gun artist
    • View Profile
    • Voxel Tiles!
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2016, 10:39:02 AM »

Feeling a little guilty of flooding the forum, but...

¡It looks so nice! I mean, probably I'd never design a train engineer console, if not as a mockup of a game interface.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2016, 12:38:07 AM »

Dude, flood it all you want, these are great (and I show most of them around :D). You really should do that train roguelike (or game); we need more themes in the genre and your art is obviously already there, just need the right mechanics.

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2016, 06:49:27 PM »

Feeling a little guilty of flooding the forum

I'm mainly just lurking on the forums at the moment, but I just want to say keep up the awesome work.  Every time I get a notification for this thread I look forward to checking it out :)

melrabo

• Unaware
  • Hired gun artist
    • View Profile
    • Voxel Tiles!
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2016, 09:53:39 AM »

Dude, flood it all you want, these are great (and I show most of them around :D). You really should do that train roguelike (or game); we need more themes in the genre and your art is obviously already there, just need the right mechanics.

Well, the main menu should look like this:

The idea is from the old game "Transartica", from Silmarils games. If you can find it, please give it a try and you'll understand my fascination.
I've been experimenting in 128x72 grids, to allow for 16:9 HD compositions.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2016, 10:05:19 AM »

Designing for 16:9 is a good idea. I made the mistake of keeping with old habits and designing for 4:3 :/. At least the UI is flexible, but I'm not going to do that again :P

That is a great-looking map. You really do a nice job with your color work, but I guess that's natural since you have the right background :). For now we'll call this melrabo's-welcome-to-spam thread.

Actually, I've been wanting to do a little drawing myself in the near term. (I've unfortunately changed my long-term plan so the REXPaint competition will not be until later.) Maybe I'll put something up soon.

I did recently draw this Cogmind sample world map concept in REXPaint:

A bunch of its previous iterations I wrote about on the blog this week. (That and it's animated :P)

kvee

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015 (Advanced Tier!!!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2016, 02:23:44 PM »

Hehe, I was bugging Kyzrati on twitter all day yesterday saying how much I love this program :D
Anyway, here's some of the pictures I've done, I just like doodling random abstract stuff:

Older logo of mine with some improvements:

This is probably my favorite picture from the official gallery:
So I made this.  I call it Electric Bonsai.

This is also great:

I was just putting In random 1s and 0s, I wonder what I would get if I translated it.

...I hope you don't mind endlessblaze, I've decided to play with your picture a little bit

(sorry for the long post, I'm a showoff :]...)

izzy

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2016, 04:01:34 PM »

Here is new menu from my game:

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 04:03:58 PM by izzy »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2016, 07:28:56 PM »

Nice art, kvee! And long posts are fine, this is after all a place to show off art :D

The chunky font you're using goes well with those images.

@izzy: While I think the letters could use some work, wow, that's a really nice background. I almost thought they were superimposed onto another image, but on closer inspection it looks like you actually drew that whole thing in REXPaint??? If so that's pretty amazing and would seem like a lot of work, but perhaps it's easier to do something like that as of 1.0 with the HSV shifting tool (if that's what you used).

izzy

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2016, 11:58:52 PM »

@izzy: While I think the letters could use some work, wow, that's a really nice background. I almost thought they were superimposed onto another image, but on closer inspection it looks like you actually drew that whole thing in REXPaint??? If so that's pretty amazing and would seem like a lot of work, but perhaps it's easier to do something like that as of 1.0 with the HSV shifting tool (if that's what you used).

Yeah, it took me whole day to make it. This was my test work on how to use HSV. At first is seemed complicated, and I always clicked LMB instead of RMB, but at the end I got a feel how I should do it. Any recommendation for the letters?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2016, 12:13:17 AM »

Great use of the shifting, then. It's a really beautiful background.

Sorry about dropping that comment without leaving any recommendations on the letters :P. I'd say the good thing about them right now is they're fairly consistent, and they also stand out well from the background both due to color and form. I think it might look better if you used a different CP437 font for this, one with rounded smooth lines rather than such sharp corners and points. That would help it look like it belongs with the smooth background a little more, but it would still stand out. Something to try at least!

izzy

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2016, 03:12:52 AM »

I think it might look better if you used a different CP437 font for this, one with rounded smooth lines rather than such sharp corners and points. That would help it look like it belongs with the smooth background a little more, but it would still stand out. Something to try at least!

Thank you for your opinion!

The problem is I don't have any CP437 font except from libtcod and rexpaint. I could redraw the font, but then i would need to do that for all fonts (since I use same font for different resolution automatically). Do you ave any links/fonts you can recommend?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2016, 05:10:47 AM »

I'm sure you can find something that works here :D

That said, the scaling bit is certainly an annoying roadblock. This is why it's nice to have the full gamut with the REXPaint fonts, which I put a lot of work into making sure the glyphs at all sizes share the same relative proportions and shapes.

Still, if it's mostly just the extended ASCII lines and a few other glyphs that you're using, maybe you could get away with a partial set. (Though I imagine you wouldn't use curved lines in your game content itself and would have to use an alternative set of fonts specifically for the title screen, eh?)

Either way, it might be worth dropping in another font just to experiment--see what it can look like. That and I strongly recommend eventually migrating to some font other than the REXPaint defaults anyway, if you can. It's a lot of work, but the results will make the game's appearance more uniquely yours! (Or you can ignore me because I'm crazy about fonts and have added over 100 bitmaps to Cogmind now, another 15 or so this week :P)

izzy

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2016, 01:35:40 PM »

I'm sure you can find something that works here :D

Fantastic! Wasn't aware of it.

Either way, it might be worth dropping in another font just to experiment--see what it can look like. That and I strongly recommend eventually migrating to some font other than the REXPaint defaults anyway, if you can. It's a lot of work, but the results will make the game's appearance more uniquely yours! (Or you can ignore me because I'm crazy about fonts and have added over 100 bitmaps to Cogmind now, another 15 or so this week :P)

I will try...once. It's lot of time, and I don't have that right now. I will stick with standard font, the game's uniqueness is rather shown in ecstasy of colors than font itself. Of course font will give it a final touch, but that's another (long) story.

melrabo

• Unaware
  • Hired gun artist
    • View Profile
    • Voxel Tiles!
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2016, 05:58:32 PM »

Fantastic works.

Love Izzy-s super/upscaled/noise effect.

melrabo

• Unaware
  • Hired gun artist
    • View Profile
    • Voxel Tiles!
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2016, 09:59:10 AM »

Still, if it's mostly just the extended ASCII lines and a few other glyphs that you're using, maybe you could get away with a partial set. (Though I imagine you wouldn't use curved lines in your game content itself and would have to use an alternative set of fonts specifically for the title screen, eh?)

I never thought about this possibility: creating my own tileset to make diagonals and curves, etc.
This opens a new lot of possibilities, but I assume it's easy but also I can break something easily. ¿Can please you link a good how-to-do-it?

Also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2016, 08:18:21 PM »

Adding a new font is quite simple; you can read about how to do it in the manual under the "Fonts" section. Let me know if you have any questions.

Love the finished graveyard!

dagondev

• Derelict
  • https://www.reddit.com/r/piraterogue/
    • View Profile
    • My project - Pirate Rogue
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2016, 02:50:22 AM »

Hi everyone!

Wanted to show off my mockup I created today.

Game would be called Pirate Rogue and would allow you to become a Captain of your own ship and sail in procedurally generated world pursuing fame/wealth/adventure/other goals. As you can imagine first versions would heavily emphasize exploration and ship fighting.
To be honest I want first to nail what you can expect, and feel you would get in game, just from looking at mockup before I get to design specifics of the project.
I love when games pass information about game/world without shattering immersion and this is my goal, which you can see already:
1. sails show in which direction wind is blowing
2. instead looking at minimap, your lookout would tell you if anything is in close proximity.
3. Your crew would tell you when cannons are ready to fire.
4. You, as captain, move ship by steering wheel and order crew by shouting.

But still a lot of work to do: need to creating mockup that would show how damaged cannons/hull/sails would look like and need to think how pass more information without traditional gui.

What is important that RexPaint allowed me to burst into creative mode and allows me to quickly iterate over stuff.

With all of this, It would help me tremendously having any feedback from you guys. If anyone would be interested I am sure I will get more power to keep going. Would you like to play this game? What do you think about mockups/ideas?

TODO:
1. Make sails more readable
2. Make cannons represent 30% damage stated in the left bottom gui text.
3. Make water show in which direction wind is blowing
  3.1. Make sails only show damage?
4. Make water look nicer
5. Make bigger field of view, without creating separate 'small' models.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 03:41:40 AM by dagondev »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2016, 09:20:10 AM »

I already replied on /r/roguelikes (found that before I found this post :P), though for others' reference, this is being discussed here.

I also tweeted an excerpt for you, as beautiful as it is. Very nice work on the mockups (and yeah one of them is now in the gallery).

dagondev

• Derelict
  • https://www.reddit.com/r/piraterogue/
    • View Profile
    • My project - Pirate Rogue
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2016, 11:03:04 AM »

Haha, nice.

Thanks for putting mine work in the gallery. :)

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2016, 12:32:18 PM »

Just made a title screen  :o

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2016, 07:52:10 PM »

Hehe, v0.0. Nice touch.

That's a really cool slanted look overall with the slashes and percent signs that contribute to it while adding more substance. The more I look at it the more I like it :D

(I like the smaller text across the top of the truck, too.)

This is going in the gallery.

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2016, 01:52:20 AM »

Thank you for your kind words :)
Probably truck will be removed from title screen making some space for more decent 'ascii' word.
In turn it will appear in some kinda cut scenes.

Thanks for adding it to gallery!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11