Grid Sage Forums

• April 20, 2024, 10:21:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Adding support to SadConsole game engine  (Read 6504 times)

Thraka

• Unaware
  • SadConsole - .NET Roguelike/Console game engine
    • View Profile
Adding support to SadConsole game engine
« on: June 03, 2015, 12:15:06 PM »

Hi,

I'm going to add support for rexpaint files into SadConsole, an ascii/ansi game engine (MonoGame based) I've been building over the last few years. I can do this easily with RexReader.

Just wanted to say hello. :)

Thraka

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Re: Adding support to SadConsole game engine
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 06:03:57 PM »

Quick question, if REXPaint supports multiple layers, does it use a specific character for transparent? Character 0 perhaps?

Also, does anyone have some REXPaint art they could share with me?

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 08:17:52 PM »

There's a thread right below this one for stuff people have made :3

Unless you mean the original .xp files?

Thraka

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 08:26:47 PM »

Yeah I would love some .xp files to test with. I could make some but it would be much cooler to get it from real users.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 09:02:28 PM »

Hi Thraka, and welcome!

Transparency is handled using the hot pink background color (255,0,255), this is mentioned in the manual in a few places, including Appendix B--make sure to read that section when you want to add support!

Yeah I would love some .xp files to test with. I could make some but it would be much cooler to get it from real users.
I'd give you some cool .xp files of my own, but they're all in a special version of REXPaint that I use which isn't compatible with everyone else's... someone else hook him up?
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 09:09:23 PM »

I'd give you some cool .xp files of my own, but they're all in a special version of REXPaint that I use which isn't compatible with everyone else's...
Ha! I figured you'd done something like that. I tried plugging the Cogmind stuff into REXP recently. Unfortunately, the alien parts did not load ;)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 09:44:54 PM »

Maybe that's why I did that ::)

And stop trying to spoil yourself!

Thraka

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 10:44:56 PM »

Ackk! My eyes completely glazed over the manual.txt file.. dooorpp! Thanks :)

Yeah someone send me some xp pls :) My email is my username at outlook.com

Thanks!!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 11:14:50 PM »

They could just upload them here as an attachment, too, if they don't mind and in case someone else wants a look.

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 01:00:11 AM »

As soon as I get my home Internet connection back I'll link what I have (not until Wednesday next week at this stage). Doing everything on my phone has been very tedious this week...

ironpotato

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 11:48:24 AM »

Maybe that's why I did that ::)

And stop trying to spoil yourself!
And now I know what I need to be spending my time breaking!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 06:57:29 AM »

Thraka, here's a sample given to me by the artist DragonDePlatino (creator of the DawnLike roguelike tileset)

BaconSoap

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 12:10:26 PM »

Not sure if this is the best spot to jump in, but you mentioned you're using RexReader in SadConsole. I just cleaned up RexReader's repo a bit, and started publishing it as a NuGet package. I saw that people were starting to use it and wanted to make the process easier, instead of making consumers compile from scratch/include it in the project. Definitely feel free to fork/suggest improvements!

More on topic: SadConsole seems pretty cool, and that dwarf art is impressive. My sample files that I use in my automated tests are shameful in comparison!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 08:36:46 PM »

Welcome, BaconSoap! Saw you in the forum signup notification and recognized you right away :). Thanks for your continued support.

I haven't checked out SadConsole yet, but once Thraka finishes REXPaint support I'll add it to the list of resources. Come to think of it, I'll make a sticky thread here with a complete list of REXPaint resources--better than only on the blog.

that dwarf art is impressive. My sample files that I use in my automated tests are shameful in comparison!
Well, it was made by a pretty good artist. I couldn't do that myself, either :P. Though you can see from the style that he's got a background in pixel art, rather than ANSI art.

Thraka

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 10:11:24 AM »

Thraka, here's a sample given to me by the artist DragonDePlatino (creator of the DawnLike roguelike tileset)

Thanks! I've loaded it and verified that it works. :) Do you happen to have something with multiple layers?

Not sure if this is the best spot to jump in, but you mentioned you're using RexReader in SadConsole. I just cleaned up RexReader's repo a bit, and started publishing it as a NuGet package. I saw that people were starting to use it and wanted to make the process easier, instead of making consumers compile from scratch/include it in the project. Definitely feel free to fork/suggest improvements!

More on topic: SadConsole seems pretty cool, and that dwarf art is impressive. My sample files that I use in my automated tests are shameful in comparison!

Thanks BaconSoap! I've already forked and sent a pull request to you. :) I'm avoiding going the nuget route for the dependency. I don't want to have the users of SadConsole (if any...) to have to pull down an additional library at this point, nor do I want to split my code out (that converts the TileMap into my LayeredConsole object) into an additional library with a dependency on yours. If things get bigger for any reason I'll probably go that, but for now it's much more convenient to have your classes directly in my project.

I have this at the top of all of your files that are in my project
Code: [Select]
// Copyright (c) 2015 Andrew Varnerin
// Taken from https://github.com/BaconSoap/RexReader
// Namespace changed to match SadConsole
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:14:27 PM by Thraka »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 07:11:22 PM »

Thanks! I've loaded it and verified that it works. :) Do you happen to have something with multiple layers?
Not me, no, at least nothing of significance like that art. All my own multi-layered files use the Cogmind-unique .xp format. All I could give you is some quick and dirty multi-layered doodle you could make yourself just as easily ;)