is a powerful and user-friendly ASCII art editor.
- Edit characters, foreground, and background colors separately
- Draw shapes and text
- Copy/cut/paste areas
- Undo/redo changes
- Preview effects simply by hovering the cursor over the canvas
- Palette manipulation
- Image-wide color tweaking and palette swaps
- True-color RGB/HSV/hex color picker
- Create multi-layered images
- Zooming: Scale an image by changing font size on the fly
- Browse art assets and begin editing at the press of a button
- Images highly compressed
- Export PNGs for use in other programs or on the web
- Export .ANS files for ANSI art
- Other exportable formats: TXT, CSV, XML, XPM, BBCode
- Skinnable interface
See many of these features in action here
. Download REXPaint from that same site. It is a freely available tool developed by myself for roguelike development and released for the community to enjoy. Many other developers, artists, and enthusiasts already use REXPaint for their own projects.
REXPaint is great for a wide range of purposes, having been used to create all of Cogmind's ASCII art
, draw UI mockups for planning and reference, and even paint pieces of maps
integrated into the map generation algorithms.
I've posted a guide to using REXPaint to assist with various aspects of roguelike development here