Grid Sage Forums

• April 20, 2024, 04:32:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #113 [Beta 5] [Seed: AlienHammerFactory]  (Read 1511 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #113 [Beta 5] [Seed: AlienHammerFactory]
« on: February 16, 2018, 12:54:48 AM »

This week's seed: AlienHammerFactory

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.
  • As Cogmind now has multiple difficulty modes and challenges which will affect the world generation, by default it is assumed everyone is playing on regular difficulty with no challenges enabled. You are free to use whichever settings you wish, but if you intend on discussing it, be sure to specify what difficulty/challenges you're using!

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: AlienHammerFactory] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

joke_LA

• Unaware
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #113 [Beta 5] [Seed: AlienHammerFactory]
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 09:47:40 AM »

Score: 11441, died in -4/Factory.

I've been trying to do combat builds, and I've never made it past sublevel -4. I seem to do fine, until the alert gets too high and I get a constant stream of enemies sent after me keeping me in the same spot until I lose all my parts. Do I need to be switching away from treads to a faster propulsion so I can run away or at least keep moving while fighting?

This run I went to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looking at my scoresheet it seems I was fighting too close to a garrison, so next time I'll definitely avoid that. I also moved too quickly through Materials and didn't end up finding any Large Storage, so had some inventory space issues.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 03:36:40 AM »

I was aiming to both win and get a higher score, so I wanted to visit as many branches as reasonable, and keep the alert under control while still causing plenty of destruction :D

Started on wheels for the first half, mainly because I found good wheels, but built up the slots for my target propulsion: legs. Also decided to go with only 4 weapon slots, a bit lower than my usual build.

I decided to get imprinted, and because I don't think I've ever won while imprinted (still!), I thought it best to avoid my usual strategy of just endlessly summoning allies and crushing everything. It works fine until the very late-game, where the alert starts getting out of control and I die after losing my allies and have the wrong build for lone survival. So maybe this time I should use some more resupplies instead, which I almost never use.

While I did order some resupplies on the way up, I didn't actually use any of them... simply didn't need them since they couldn't offer me anything better than what I had. The occasional ally was more useful, and other than that I did make use of a fair bit of Zionite intel.

I hit high security in -3, just too much carnage while I hung out in a thoroughfare. Got smarter and spent a lot of time taking more secluded routes, but still ended up in high security before I found an exit. Still got out, though, and gamma bombed all the Sentries guarding the way out. Dual Gamma Bombs Arrays basically plowed through a dozen hostiles at a time. It was great.

Then of course that means the alert is high in -2 and I expected high security there. Sure enough, once again hit it xD. This time I basically said screw it and gone for an Experimental ally, who really saved my butt. Took out pretty much everyone along the way, including a Behemoth, as we made a mad dash across the floor to reach an exit. (Well, as "mad dash" as you can get on treads :P)

Things got really bad in -2... I made a huge mistake in not realizing an Investigator showed up, when I clearly could have dealt with that in the turn I had to react. Got scanned xD

Things went pretty downhill as I didn't deal with the subsequent situation very well, either. Oh well, was fun though and I still beat my Beta 5 high score, even though I didn't win. I took a pretty long route and had a very successful first 75%, though my peak state and late-game build were quite mediocre...

It mostly started going downhill once I switched from wheels, which I actually used for almost the entire run (yeah... never really did get around to using legs for more than a moment xD), until I found a Hauler full of Hvy. Centrium Treads and that was really too hard to pass up.

I guess I still have the goal of winning an imprinted game then!

Here I am crashing a garrison party (through the wrong wall...), while still wheeling it in the late game:

And this is the absolute mess I got myself into at the end of -2:
I ended up self-destructing because I couldn't really do anything to them but it was taking them forever to whittle me down. Wish I had some huge weapon to say goodbye with :P

Spoiler: Score: 35,119 (click to show/hide)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 03:46:14 AM »

Welcome, joka_LA!

Alert is tough to deal with at the higher levels, especially if imprinted and shooting up the place :P

It's easier if you can hack the alert down (imprinting makes that impossible...), or use some kind of infowar parts like sensors or terrain scanners to better plan your moves, exploration, and encounters. Otherwise you're playing blind and that can work, but is kinda dangerous. (I enjoy playing that way, and must accept the occasional consequences...)

Faster propulsion definitely helps a lot, because otherwise it's harder to reposition and just moving around wastes a lot of turns. For that reason combat players in the late game have been using Cmb. hover or even wheels. Legs are okay too if you've got at least five slots, since there will be lots of spares and they're decently fast. Treads are still fine, you just need a really solidly optimized combat build!

And definitely don't fight near garrisons :)

Regarding the weapon you found, it's not really a noob trap, just a random fun part that's not technically great but you can still build around it with certain parts to make it pretty effective.

I also moved too quickly through Materials and didn't end up finding any Large Storage, so had some inventory space issues.
Yeah I've done that before and ended up playing through the end game with just 1~2 Medium Storage taken from other bots. That's another approach, since it's great to have that lower mass and free active utility slots, just less flexible overall and combat generally needs the flexibility and spares unless you can kill stuff really really fast.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon