Grid Sage Forums

• April 25, 2024, 03:01:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: More melee abilities  (Read 600 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
More melee abilities
« on: February 13, 2018, 04:36:16 AM »

These may be OP or unbalancing, but they are a lot of fun when you manage to unlock them in Sil. Perhaps there could be some utilities or processors that enable these?

These are taken more or less verbatim from the Sil manual: http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/Sil-130-Manual.pdf

Flanking gives you a free melee attack when you move between two squares adjacent to the same opponent.

Zone of Control gives you a free melee attack when an opponent moves between two squares adjacent to you.

Riposte gives you a free counterattack when an opponent misses by a large enough margin.

Opportunist gives you a free attack when an opponent moves from a square adjacent to you to one which is not.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: More melee abilities
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 04:51:07 AM »

Yeah I've been thinking of new possibilities for melee in that vein. Just yesterday I was considering an automatic charge effect that allows you to attack a second target in a row after killing one with piercing momentum, as well as similar ideas for automatic slashing/impact attacks on multiple adjacent targets. Basically ways to use clever positioning in combination with melee to further improve the latter's effectiveness.

It'll never be quite the same as Sil or Brogue, as those are very melee-focused roguelikes, but there's is definitely room for more melee options, especially any that have a relatively guaranteed good effect in exchange for you having to potentially be in a more dangerous situation to balance it out.

We have to be pretty careful with this stuff because melee weapons are already often quite good, it's just a case of seeing if it's possible, and worth, designing in features that help them in other situations as well.

I'm not too keen on it right now because it further validates low-weapon builds, which are already quite good while one of the areas that we're actually lacking is high-weapon builds, so I place a higher priority on that.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon