Grid Sage Forums

• April 18, 2024, 10:13:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [beta 5] Beast suffers critical hit  (Read 673 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
[beta 5] Beast suffers critical hit
« on: February 13, 2018, 04:29:21 AM »

I thought (from lore) that this was not supposed to happen, but there it is in the log. It could be this is not a bug and the threshold is just lower (i.e. they have to be more damaged to suffer critical hits).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [beta 5] Beast suffers critical hit
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 05:09:09 AM »

Right, lore and stat-wise (you can click on their Traits and see critical immunity listed), Beasts are immune to critical hits.

This happens because the message of your critical hit success is still shown even if that shot hits a target immune to them--notice you won't see any other effect following the critical message. I guess it can be confusing due to its wording, since it no longer refers to the critical hit as being a function of your attack but rather as one of its effect ("suffers").

I think I left it in there so that you have a general idea of what your volley is capable of, seeing the true ratio of crits overall. Technically even your score sheet critical tally includes these as well. Maybe I should at least remove the message specifically for immune robots if it'll cause confusion...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 06:01:38 AM »

Maybe "Beast resists critical hit" would be better? Does it completely ignore them (taking no damage) or does it take damage as if it was a normal shot? Since you are already disclosing this in the robot traits this would just be another step towards mechanic transparency.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:03:22 AM by Joshua »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 06:10:04 AM »

It certainly takes damage as a normal shot, as you can already see in the damage details in the combat log.

I don't think changing the message would really add transparency in this case--it could even add confusion since players might think they don't always resist criticals.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 07:17:36 PM »

Oh, on revisiting this and inspecting it more closely, this is because the Behemoth still takes extra damage from critical hits if you hit its armor, the effect simply can't outright destroy parts. This is why the critical immunity trait context help says only "Immune to instant part and core destruction from critical strikes." (The immunity doesn't extend to the extra-damage-vs-armor rule.)

I'll change it so that the message only shows for crit-"immune" bots if their armor is hit.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:19:33 PM by Kyzrati »