Grid Sage Forums

• April 19, 2024, 02:02:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Item label display filtering.  (Read 2096 times)

Jazzer

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Item label display filtering.
« on: February 12, 2018, 08:32:57 AM »

Situation: I've just blown up countless robots in a prolonged battle, I'm in pretty good shape, but my weapons took a beating.

Problem: The floor is absolutely littered with all manner of components. I can turn item labels on, but half are obscured by other labels and those that aren't obscured are for items I don't care much for at the time. To make things even worse are the neutral bots roaming over things, covering up their icons.

Idea: Give us a way to label items only for a specific slot. Ideally, we could label a specific subclass of items (legs for example), but I think if we were able to filter out a single slot type, that would go a long ways toward making the process of sifting through the debris much much simpler.

Attached are a couple of images highlighting the issue.

Perhaps while item labels are showing, the -/= keys could cycle through the part slots as well as matter.

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Item label display filtering.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:34:58 AM »

Kyzrati has already started working on the item filter feature, as seen in Beta 5 changelog. However, it's not completed yet and will be expanded in the future.

Quote from: Kyzrati
This is a first step of potentially several on the road to an even more effective label system.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 04:34:47 PM »

Yeah you can see the new options in Beta 5 (which are also adjustable in the advanced options--check the manual as indicated). I have a much more involved system planned, but it's rather low priority because doing a very good real-time filtering system is rather involved (requires a new UI) compared to its usefulness once you have a good grasp of what parts robots can drop and how to quickly skim through them.

If there's an easier rule-based option that can be added more simply (like one of the four added for Beta 5) I'd be happy to do that in the near term, though.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 04:39:09 PM »

Perhaps while item labels are showing, the -/= keys could cycle through the part slots as well as matter.
This is an interesting idea that could potentially happen sooner, I like it...

Jazzer

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 05:33:21 PM »

I suppose once you are familiar with all the robot drops, it does get a bit easier to know what to look for. I still feel a little new to things with only 2 weeks of play (which is super refreshing for a change; having a game this deep to learn).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 05:54:08 AM »

Good news! Cogmind's next major release (Beta 11) is coming with advanced filtering and searches and all sorts of stuff! I've written an article about the related features on the blog, and among the features you can do things like cycle part labels by category: