Grid Sage Forums

• April 18, 2024, 12:45:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 5] DC does not reveal W depth.  (Read 1879 times)

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
[Beta 5] DC does not reveal W depth.
« on: January 22, 2018, 04:59:00 AM »

Posting a screenshot just to make sure I did not miss it.

DDarkray

• Cyborg
  • Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Wiki Contributor Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: [Beta 5] DC does not reveal W depth.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 05:34:14 AM »

This might be for lore reason, so it's probably not a bug.

Spoiler: Lore Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:40:39 AM by DDarkray »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 06:17:33 AM »

Dude Valguris don't post Beta 5 bugs here, Beta 5 isn't even out yet xD. We hash out prerelease issues on the chat, since that's the only place where people even know there is prerelease testing. Putting it here can confuse everyone else.

DM does know about W, and the location--this is in the lore (DDarkray!), so technically it should be there, and I've also tested this before and see it as normal.

The question is when did you notice it no longer there anymore, and if there was something you did before that which may have affected that knowledge, but looks like all you really did was exit DM to the next level. But it was there when you looked while inside DM lair?

And in this same run, did it appear in the map later, specifically after you exited the Proximity Caves and re-entered -5/Factory?

I would need a save from this run with a map like this to tell any more, like at least be able to look if the map is supposed to be known in memory and perhaps it was just a display error on your system? (unlikely, but just another route to explore)

To my knowledge you should 1) get that location, and 2) there should be no way to actually lose it there. I've tested it many times under various world configurations and possibilities.

The only way to lose map locations is via CR, and you of course hadn't done that yet :P

In any case, this is not a Beta 5-specific issue. Whatever happened is not new, just not something that anyone's encountered before...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 12:36:35 PM »

I gave you a save for this one via Discord, IIRC, but I got a new one if it helps you.

I'm missing locations of Storage, Warlord, Cetus and -4 Factory.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 06:21:13 PM »

Thanks yeah I do have your other save and haven't gotten to this yet, but I will. Clearly it's a thing xD

b_sen

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »

I have another save for this one, specifically the case where Zion reveals Warlord's locations and then the Data Miner does not confirm.  Let me know if that would be useful to track down the bug. :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 06:30:02 PM »

Hm, that would seem to be somewhat different, since the original issue is talking about using DC as a source specifically, which I've heard a few times, not elsewhere. Maybe related but hard to say since I haven't looked into this one yet.

The question in your case would be whether W or not was actually on the map immediately after the Zion reveal, or you didn't notice this until after DM. (Also you didn't mention DC--so you're not referring to that method of learning W's location, right?)

b_sen

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 10:30:30 PM »

The question in your case would be whether W or not was actually on the map immediately after the Zion reveal, or you didn't notice this until after DM. (Also you didn't mention DC--so you're not referring to that method of learning W's location, right?)

The sequence in this particular run was definitely as follows:
  • Visit Zion;
  • Get the Zion reveal of W's location;
  • Immediately check the world map for W's location and find it marked while still in Zion;
  • Visit the DM;
  • Get the DM lore that would logically reveal W's location given the context; and
  • Check my log for the "location confirmed" message and verify that it is not present for W.

In fact, I backed up the save while still at DM in case you wanted to check it yourself while the logs are still fresh.

(Oops, silly me, I do mean DM and not DC - the discussion of this over on the Discord that I was in was about the DM not giving out the location, so I must have skipped over the title specifically referring to DC. :-[ )

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 01:54:58 AM »

Sure might as well attach the save here and I can check it later along with the other. That said, I'm mostly interested in W not appearing on the map at all. I don't believe there are confirmations in log for learning about duplicate maps through special means like that--that's only a derelict log thing.

b_sen

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 10:47:49 AM »

Sure might as well attach the save here and I can check it later along with the other. That said, I'm mostly interested in W not appearing on the map at all. I don't believe there are confirmations in log for learning about duplicate maps through special means like that--that's only a derelict log thing.

Huh, I thought there were confirmations for special means, and in any case, I've seen DM not reveal W's location before when I had no other ways of knowing it.  Attached the save, though. :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 06:56:25 AM »

Whew, tracked this one down--that was annoying. I was sorta looking in the wrong direction at first because it wasn't certain maps that were missing at all, but completely random maps due to an oversight in one part of the code affecting another xD. In any case, from Beta 6 onward DC will always be 100% reliable in the maps you get :)

b_sen

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 06:48:39 PM »

Bugs with random components are generally a nasty sort. XD

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 07:15:25 PM »

Yeah my first response was to check directly the original question at hand, but "W" was never missing in my tests so I couldn't repeat it (being random...). I only figured it out after specifically spending the time to open the data for every single map revealed by DC, and follow the order in which they were revealed, noticing that it was skipping every so often. The cause ended up simply being the stupid way the code was counting the number of maps revealed in order to write the log message at the end...

Valguris

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 08:40:25 AM »

Oh, you checked only the bug title. I guess I should've changed that after I posted again to point out that missing zones are random  :-[
Would've saved you a lot of trouble.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 09:52:58 AM »

Yeah I did see your post later when I went in for a deeper check. It was just that the first several times I tried it (way back when you first reported it) I couldn't repeat W specifically. At the time it wasn't known yet.