Grid Sage Forums

• March 29, 2024, 07:16:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Game slowdown in Factory  (Read 1024 times)

Laida

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Game slowdown in Factory
« on: March 05, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »

Hello again. I don't know if it is a bug, actually...  :-[ but game suddenly became unusually slow in this save, when I came to the current floor. What's the reason of it?
(Of course I tried to reboot my system, and it didn't help. Also I saw before that game somewhat slows down when there are many fighting bots in sight, but this is not the case now.)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:08:54 PM by Kyzrati »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Game became slow at some point
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 05:08:14 PM »

Well slowing down while there are a lot of bots fighting in sight will be normal, yeah, since you have to wait for everyone to fire before it's your turn again (if they aren't visible or within in audible range their combat is resolved instantly to avoid unnecessary slowdown).

As for your save though, I've confirmed it's definite non-combat slowdown, and before opening it had also guessed that it's in Factory :P. This sometimes happens there, the known cause being excessive pathfinding because either there are simply so many bots on such massive maps, or some bots got stuck or are unable to access your location (doesn't seem to be the case here).

One reason players can be more sensitive to it is if you're moving slowly, meaning more robots get to move in between your turns. You're moving at 120, so not very fast, but technically it shouldn't slow down quite this much even at 120.

Thanks for the save I'll investigate this later to see if we can resolve the underlying cause (beyond simply speeding up pathfinding, again, which is also something I've wanted to do for a while).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Laida

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Re: Game slowdown in Factory
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 12:45:56 AM »

Ok  :)
When I went to the next level of Factory, game began to proceed at a normal speed. It's confirms that probably this particular level had a problem inside it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:26:56 AM by Laida »

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:46:11 PM »

I am experiencing slowdown in Factory now, too, though it only happened after cutting through a wall and the Z-Courier following me got closed off on the other side, around the same time programmers were dispatched. Attaching a save in case it helps.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 02:35:18 AM »

Turns out that although your saves both have slowdown, though the reasons are somewhat different. As expected both have to do with pathfinding, though :P (the only thing that could theoretically slow down the game like this)

Joshua's save: A Z-Courier was stuck in another section of the complex where you must've taken out a wall that was later repaired with the Z-Courier on the other side. Every turn it would try to repeatedly calculate a valid path to any of the cells near you, but being impossible it would just take forever doing this every turn.

Laida's save: This one was pretty "fun" to track down... Apparently there are a bunch of Workers on the floor trying to push disabled bots to a chute, and naturally this situation can only exist if there are chutes on the map to begin with, but it turns out the only chute on the map is located inside a hidden corridor, which workers aren't allowed to access! So they kept repeatedly pathing all over the place without ever finding a way in.

Laida

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 04:31:27 AM »

but it turns out the only chute on the map is located inside a hidden corridor, which workers aren't allowed to access! So they kept repeatedly pathing all over the place without ever finding a way in.
Laughed a lot  ;D ;D ;D
Thanks for analysis. Maybe it'll be better for the game to avoid this situation at level generation step  :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 04:33:16 AM »

Oh certainly, I've already fixed both of these. Now the level generation actually checks whether at least one chute is accessible to the Worker before giving them a robot to push around :P