Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 07:38:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [beta 4.0] Overloaded weapons don't get damage bonus against walls  (Read 612 times)

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile

Reinforced walls at -1/Access and -1/Command show 70 armor and 50% resistance to EM and AOE. Sometimes I couldn't break them with vortex lance (60-100 damage with +79% speed+momentum modifier, which gives minimum damage of ~108) and never with an overloaded Cld. Nova Cannon (80-90 damage).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:07:33 AM by Kyzrati »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Alrighty thanks for the heads up, I've looked into this and there are two parts.

First of all, overloaded weapons are not applying their damage bonus to walls, so that explains the Cld. Nova Cannon. Fixed for the next release.

The Vortex Lance, on the other hand, is not a bug. If you tried a couple more times you would've made it through because it does 60-100 damage. I tried a bunch and even just standing next to the wall without any momentum it blasts through just fine, dealing the right range of damage.

The reason you didn't break through with all that momentum "bonus" is that there was really no bonus at all. The Vortex Lance does not benefit from speed and momentum, because although as a lance it falls under the "piercing melee weapon" category, it actually does EN damage, and the melee modifiers are assigned by damage type. Only true slashing/piercing/impact weapons benefit.  You can see this reflected in the Modifiers context help, but technically the manual does say "All melee weapons benefit from greater momentum" etc., which will need to be modified.

It's a little confusing because melee weapons were originally split into three types that also matched their damage type, but then much much later (like over two years after that happened :P) I decided to add some very special melee weapons that happen to have different damage types.

Adding a whole new weapon category for an individual weapon or two is kinda overkill, but then leaving it as we have it now can obviously also be confusing because we have weapons in a category named after a damage type that don't actually do that type of damage, even though technically these weapons are "shaped" like others of the same type...

It's kind of a dilemma.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Re: [beta 4.0] Overloaded weapons don't get damage bonus against walls
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 08:18:27 AM »

Given that there even exists a ranged slashing gun, perhaps it would be better if damage modifiers applied if weapon type matched, rather than damage type?
Particle chargers say they increase damage for energy guns and cannons. In the current implementation I guess this excludes Phasic and Entropic guns and cannons. Does it include EM launchers?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 08:23:29 AM by Valguris »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »

Given that there even exists a ranged slashing gun, perhaps it would be better if damage modifiers applied if weapon type matched, rather than damage type?
That's the simplest approach, but I'm not sure I want EN damage to get that bonus. Too powerful. The system was designed when only S/I/P were a thing, and balanced for that.

And yes apparently the range slashing gun would get this momentum mod, I guess, which is quite interesting (and... fine, I think?).

Particle chargers say they increase damage for energy guns and cannons. In the current implementation I guess this excludes Phasic and Entropic guns and cannons.
No, those are applied across the category. "Energy Guns" and "Energy Cannons" are a named weapon class, not the name of a damage type.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 06:04:41 AM »

For Beta 5 I'm changing the rules such that all melee weapons have up to 40% bonus damage, regardless of damage type, so it'll be simpler. (Though piercing will still get its double modifier.)

Also the modified damage will be shown directly in the parts/inventory list based on current momentum, but that's another feature :)