Grid Sage Forums

• March 28, 2024, 05:16:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: SITREP Saturday #9: Secrets  (Read 1202 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
SITREP Saturday #9: Secrets
« on: January 05, 2018, 05:32:47 PM »

2018 is off to a great start...

Content

Content! After a couple releases getting up to speed for and after the Steam release, we are finally in the swing of things and it feels great to have been adding new content for almost the entire week. The thing about content is that I always avoid talking spoilers, so I'll have to just give hints and tiptoe around much of what I've been up to :P

I added a dozen new items. New items need art!

Some more examples of what's coming:

I'll say that (aside from one) these are special items you won't find just lying about. (But that also implies...)

Some other mysterious mechanics and animation work...

Another important focus of this week's work was to partially redesign the mechanics surrounding "imprinting" (if you know what that is). I'll talk more about that come the Beta 5 release notes, but for now just know that it got a lot more strategically interesting.

Projecile Spread

I also added a new mechanic that allows me the option to force multiprojectile weapons to spread their shots if appropriate. The ability for builds to stack targeting computers in order to overcome accuracy-based spread mechanics and concentrate multiprojectile volleys on a single target was always a bit of a limitation on some of the weapon designs. Now I can force even a weapon firing "accurately" to randomly spread its projectiles within a designated arc of the target.

I mainly added this feature to enable one of the particularly cool new weapons, but this also made it possible to go back and fix a couple of other weapons which were never quite good enough due to the design limitation. (Previously I couldn't very well make numerous individual projectiles too powerful given that you could easily create a super powerful totally imbalanced weapon with just some targeting.) I'm certainly not converting all multiprojectile weapons over to the new system, just a few special ones that needed it in order to be improved.

It's not a widely used mechanic, but when it's applicable the line-of-fire indicator will let you know with a little cone reflecting the potential spread area.

One weapon in particular which was always a neat concept but in my opinion never really worth using is suddenly going to get a lot more fun :D

More Streaming

After posting the last SITREP I went off to stream the conclusion to the weekly seed, unfortunately losing one floor before the end :/. My fault really, stupid mistakes were made (also giving in to the desire to just blow everything to hell xD). So many pretty launchers...

You can find a quick writeup on the forums, and I also uploaded it to YouTube as Part 2.

Next week is... more new stuff!

Since a lot of the relevant SITREP discussion happens on Steam rather than in the forums, for reference here's a link to this same news on Steam. But feel free to post replies here, too :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon