Grid Sage Forums

• April 25, 2024, 01:26:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #107 [Beta 4] [Seed: ColdRagnarokSniper]  (Read 1488 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #107 [Beta 4] [Seed: ColdRagnarokSniper]
« on: December 28, 2017, 09:26:23 PM »

This week's seed: ColdRagnarokSniper

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.
  • As Cogmind now has multiple difficulty modes and challenges which will affect the world generation, by default it is assumed everyone is playing on regular difficulty with no challenges enabled. You are free to use whichever settings you wish, but if you intend on discussing it, be sure to specify what difficulty/challenges you're using!

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: ColdRagnarokSniper] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

nuzcraft

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #107 [Beta 4] [Seed: ColdRagnarokSniper]
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 08:47:42 PM »

Hello everybody, this is nuzcraft and I just got my first win :) and on stream at that :D

I wanted to play this run differently than I ever had before. This started in the scrapyard, where I equipped wheels instead of the more traditional legs or treads. -10/Mats was very good to me, providing a multitude of wheels and a grenade launcher (which would stay with me most of the game). My first evolution was a propulsion and utility slot, because I knew I wanted to get some sensors online and start working toward a hacker build. I left -9/Mats in much the same state that I entered, except that I'd augmented my arsenal with a rocket launcher and bolted on some armored wheels.

Leaving -9/Materials:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Once again, I evolved a propulsion and utility slot heading up to -8/Mats. After a couple firefights, I (gasp) started to run low on wheels, and began picking up legs as backup. In total my time in -8/Mats was very short, and  managed to pick up a chainsword right before ascending to -7/Factory. That chainsword would soon become my best buddy and stay with me till the end. I evolved 2 utility slots and began making my way through factory. A short time in, I busted a hauler to find 3 prototype flight units: improved cesium ion thrusters. I was eager to make the switch to flight, and reconciled my parts down to a manageable level with only one medium storage unit.

Initial Flight Build:

With this build, I soon found an exit to -6/Factory. Once again, I evolved 2 utility slots and set to work. Going through -6/Factory seemed like a bit of a slog. I was trying not to be seen, while managing my energy and hacking as much as possible. After quite bit of back and forth (even finding the exit to extension) I made my way to the lower caves in an attempt to find DM.

I'd managed to find long range sensors and advanced signal interpreters on -6, so much of my time in the caves was spent sneaking around. Unfortunately, at one point my only way through was blocked by a squad of swarmers and a guardian, with a beast to the east.

Lower Caves Gauntlet:

With the help of my chat, I managed to kill most of the swarmers with the rocket launcher, then aggro the guardian with an EMP Blaster and lure him around a cave formation so I could slip in behind. Unfortunately for me, the exit was guarded by a pretty serious looking squad.

Lower Caves Exit:

I used my superior propulsion and speed to fly right over their heads into the second part of the lower caves….which spawned me right in front of a patrol :(

Lower Caves 2 Entrance:

This was bad…real bad. Unsure of what to do, I few past them to the north, and quickly found more bad robots to deter me. I had to stand my ground. I parked myself against a wall and start hitting them hard with my EMP Blaster. I took a couple volleys, but terminally corrupted a veteran and soldier :D I also got a smidge of loot!

Lower Caves EMP Volley:

The rest of the lower caves was pretty uneventful until I found a strange alcove in the wall with a barrier. I slashed through the barrier to find an alien artifact! Equipping it, I got the message 'INITIALIZER ACTIVATES AND LATCHES INTO THE GROUND'. At this point, I was really confused. I knew that it had to do something, but I also knew I was going to be leaving the level pretty soon, so I smacked it with my chainsword.

Alien Artifacts don't like bein' smacked:

It was not particularly happy with me, and I still don't know what it does :D After a bit more exploring, I was pretty sure I found the exit, but it was guarded by a beast. I'd been savvy, switching off propulsion when recouping energy, but right before trying to blitz past the beast, I accidentally activated my propulsion armor treads instead of my flight units! :o Even so, I made it past the beast and into Zion!

Zion was the same as ever. I did a little restocking and got imprinted before heading out into the proximity caves. I was really looking forward to using some of the intel related Z hacks instead of just the roster ones.

Prox Caves, at least the beginning, was very interesting because I had an entourage. Where I'd normally be avoiding conflict at almost any cost, my friends were pretty intent on battling it out. In the end, I simply left them to rust and started exploring for the exit. Upon reaching the exit many turns later, I'm greeted by the return of my prodigal sons! Somehow a couple of my friends not only survived, but made their way to me through the chaos.

The prodigal sons return!:

Moving on up to -5/Factory, I evolved additional power and propulsion slots. I got some info from a couple Z hacks and managed to upgrade some of my flight units to cooled nuclear pulse thrusters!

Cooled Thruster Build:

Shortly thereafter, I ascended to -4/Factory, evolving 2 utility slots. In factory, I quickly realized that I was vastly under equipped for any sort of legitimate hacking build, so I set out to use my newfound Zionite hacking skills to get me more hacking suites. Unfortunately, I neither found many terminals, nor was very good at hacking, so we soon booked it to the upper caves.

Branchy Spoilers:

I evolved an additional propulsion and utility slot for my adventure into research. I've only been to sublevel three a couple times, and was well aware that this may be an uphill battle, but was still cornered fairly early on. I ran away quickly, and had to improvise much of the beginning exploration. I got to a couple good terminals, and managed to hack schematics for an improved hacking suite as well as branch access points. From there, I gathered a bit of extra hackware and headed towards quarantine with maximum recklessness.

Endgame Spoilers:

It was such a great experience, I'm looking forward to finding more lore and more ways to win as I keep exploring!

Spoiler: Score: 21867 (click to show/hide)

This run, like all my others, will be uploaded to my Youtube Channel, though not for a few weeks. I try to get Cogmind content up M, W, F.
I occasionally stream on Twitch, stop by if you see me on.